PDA

View Full Version : java fern wanted

aquariumlover10
07-03-2014, 01:31 AM
Ok I am wanting to get a java fern now but don't know that much about it I knowthe whole no burrying, rizohme, lighting, and reproduction metheds, where should I get one from? Will I be ok under a screw In flourescent bulb and a incadescent plant growth bulb?

pRED
07-03-2014, 01:45 AM
I bought mine from Petsmart. They are free from snails and in great condition.
They are a low light plant so you should be okay with your current lighting.

aquariumlover10
07-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Ok so are they the tube ones? I was worried about light being to strong actually

Drew's_Fish_99
07-03-2014, 04:56 AM
I've gotten mine from Petsmart in the tubes. Just look at it very thoroughly before buying, if you get home and it's not in good shape. My store would at least take it back. It may differ by store. They grow best attached to driftwood or rocks. They don't do great in substrate. If you find it's getting a little too much light, simply place it under a larger plant if you have the option to. Also, what scared me when I first got mine, the little brown dots that come up on the leaves is actually how the plant propagates. After a bit of time, little shoots will begin to grow from those dots.

aquariumlover10
07-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Ok thanks, my petsmart has one of those plant tanks with four levels or whatever so they may have them in there, yeah I've been seeing a lot of stuff about the dots and plantlets, I have hornwort, moneywort, some pieces of a marimo ball, and alittle duckweed.

Drew's_Fish_99
07-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Aw, I have 3 Petsmarts within 10-15 minutes of me and each one has done away with their plant tanks. Now all they have are the tubes with rotting plants in them... Petco has one but I swear, every time I go there the guy who helps me is stoned and has know idea what's what. I thought Petco hired higher quality employes than that.

aquariumlover10
07-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Haha yeah a lot of places don't have them, at my petco they just order assorted plant and stick sticky notes on the tank for what they got a lot of them they said the've never seen

aquariumlover10
07-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Ok I have decided that i am going to get otos and a bulband then I am going to save up to upgrade when I move, may get a java fern not sure