PDA

View Full Version : No3 High

nigeya
11-11-2007, 06:50 PM
hi all i have recently done waters changes within the last month but still seem to have have high levels of no3 nitrates at 50+ i have plenty plants which i have just planted is this a serious cause for concern my ph is 6.5 no2 0.1 phosphates 2 please help, also with my no3 being high can i still feed my plants

nigeya
11-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Hello Any Body There

zackish
11-12-2007, 08:02 PM
50 Nitrates is not a lot. fish are more tolerant of high nitrates and they explain the end of the nitrogen cycle in your tank. However, it is recommended to keep these down by weekly or bi-weekly water changes. Only 10-20% of your tanks total volume is needed. Just make sure the water you are putting in is healthy and properly treated with declorinator etc. Try to get it to around the same temperature as well to prvent shocking the fish.

nigeya
11-13-2007, 10:31 AM
thank you for getting back, i am using RO water which i buy from my local aquarium dealer and i change 5 gallons (tank is 200 litres) every 2 weekly (try) i buffer this to 6.5 ph but i have never checked this water as i assume its of good quality, after all these water changes my phosphates also seem high around 10 which concerns me as i have reduced lighting, fed less and still seem to have algea i am doing my best in not adding chemicals to rectify these problems, as i have in the past and have suffered a great deal by my fish dying!! please help i dont want to poison my fish!!

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I think your nitrates are very high. A larger water change once a week should help keep them down. I would never let nitrates get over 20.

MercCougar
01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
lady hobbs is right I am also fighting high nitrate levels nitroban works ok to help bring levels down but also vacuum the gravel. Just remember that changes take awhile to show up. Also your numbers for nitrite and amonia should be 0 in a tank with correct filtration. Another way to help reduce no3 is to have something spraying across the surface of the water beware this is to increase exchange rate from water to air and will reduce co2 for the plants

cocoa_pleco
01-07-2008, 11:05 PM
lol, this is a old thread