PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Swords Advice Needed!

Lee342
06-30-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm currently cycling a new tank and I've put in a pair of amazon swords to help the process along but now they aren't looking too healthy.

As you can see the tips are going brown, what can I do to save them. Should I remove the damaged leaves and hope the plant recovers?

They have been treated with liquid fertilizer and I will be introducing root tabs very soon.

Any help is appreciated thanks.

talldutchie
06-30-2014, 08:19 AM
I'd leave them for now and start cutting them once the damage becomes worse. As they are now they are still of some use to the plant.

Almost looks like you dosed liquid ferts directly on top of the plant.

Lee342
06-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Ok thanks, that's what I thought and the leaves started doing that before the dosing. They are great plants and I would hate to lose them.

I will post a picture of them in a week or so to show how they got on.

DoubleDutch
06-30-2014, 08:30 AM
I agree with TD : some possible causes : these plants are grown emersed so they have to adapt to the submersed status. When cycling there aren't much nitrates / phosfates available.
The used ferts probably only are microferts which only can be "used" by the plant in combination with these macro-ferts. Leave it and they'll start soon. Cheers Aad

Compass
06-30-2014, 09:06 AM
DoubleDutch is right, that plant was emersed before. You can tell from the leaf structure. Long stem with spoon shaped leaf. New submerged growth will look more like big blades of grass... or ... swords. lol

DoubleDutch
06-30-2014, 12:31 PM
DoubleDutch is right, that plant was emersed before. You can tell from the leaf structure. Long stem with spoon shaped leaf. New submerged growth will look more like big blades of grass... or ... swords. lol

I'd think it is the Sword-species that shows the difference in leaf structure. But you could be right.

Compass
06-30-2014, 12:47 PM
I just know that every Amazon Sword I've had (Echinodorus amazonicus) has followed this same pattern.

Triton
06-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Those actually look like melon swords possibly

talldutchie
06-30-2014, 02:25 PM
There's at least 40 different echinodorus on the market today with all the hybrids.

Lee342
06-30-2014, 02:51 PM
They're "Echinodorus Cordifolius Ssp, Fluitans" if that helps.

I've removed the worst leaf the medium size one you can see in the center which wasn't doing the plant any good at all. The rest should ok for now.

Triton
06-30-2014, 03:05 PM
I also agree, try some root tabs, as long as swords have good light and root tabs most do fine

Lee342
07-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Ok,

the plants are doing well now and I can see why they are so popular. It's not really worth a photograph because they look exactly the same just the brown tips came of and left the good green but I did trim off the worst looking leaves to make it look more tidy.