PDA

View Full Version : apple snail eggs

bigummz
11-11-2007, 06:36 AM
My apple snail layed a sac of eggs.I have read a bit already and im not sure if i should move it to a small container and put a wet towel on it or should i leave it where it is and im not sure when this happen either.

cocoa_pleco
11-11-2007, 06:42 AM
are there any other creatures that could possible attack the eggs?

Azear
11-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I had tons of AS eggs on the top of my tank and nobody ever touched them... result : Over 200 Baby apple snails... ^_^... so my idea... keep them where they are... but you can get great info on http://applesnail.net/

squirt_12
11-11-2007, 02:07 PM
congrats on the eggs....could you post some pics of them??

msjinkzd
11-11-2007, 04:42 PM
If you want to hatch them you can either move them or leave them there....warning, 100+ eggs from each clutch means ALOT of poop and water changes. If you want to get rid of the clutch, you can freeze it. If you want to hatch it, you need to make sure it stays moist (but NOT wet) and warm. You could leave it where it is until its about to hatch (you can see the baby snails) and then move it into a breeder tank or box. Lots of people will set the clutch on poly-fill in a breeder box with the polyfill just above the water, this way when the eggs hatch they can descend into the water but the clutch stays dry. Another DIY type solution is to take 4 strips of styrofoam and attach latch hook screening to the top to make a floating platform for the egg clutch. You can then float this in a small tank or put it in a tupperware with some water and a lid. Set this on top of your light strip (to keep the eggs warm) and this way too the babies don't drown before they are hatched, but have a way to descend into water when they do. Should take about 2 weeks for them to hatch. www.applesnail.net has a lot more DIY hatchery options. Hope this helps and good luck!

gm72
11-11-2007, 05:55 PM
NICE post, ms!

bigummz
11-12-2007, 04:17 AM
Thx for the info wish i could get pics on but i don't have a camera