PDA

View Full Version : Amazon sword translucent leaves problem

Scott_R
06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I have an Amazon Sword in a Fluval View 4 gallon tank with a betta and a snail (and some Java moss and an anubias nana).

The tank is a couple of feet from a large south-facing bay window, and it has a built-in set of LED lights.

For almost a week now the sword's leaves have been turning translucent; other leaves (green ones it seems, rather than the translucent ones) have had holes in them.

About a week ago--I don't recall if I did this before or after I saw the translucent leaves--I put in a single API root tab (which started to disintegrate the moment it touched the water) near the roots, and another two days ago. No change noticed.

If it's still a nutrition issue, I think I'd like to go with something other than the API tabs. They've been falling apart almost before I can get them into the gravel, and the water turns green-brown (I've done 50% changes to clear it).

Any thoughts?

Triton
06-04-2014, 04:44 PM
my old swords uses to love the seachem root tabs

Keep an eye on the new growth, once a leaf starts going back they typically don't recover. Trim the dead/dying leaves and use a different root tab

genocidex
06-04-2014, 04:47 PM
swords need high light and some co2 IME. they did good in my 55g but died fast in my 10g betta tank. im going to try it again when im done with my leds. what kind of leds are built into the tank? do you know the color spectrum and power? have you had any luck with plants in this tank before?

Triton
06-04-2014, 04:53 PM
I agree with the High light as well. A desk lamp with a CFL daylight bulb in it could help a ton

talldutchie
06-04-2014, 08:12 PM
I don't. I think this is a massive defficiency. Is this by any chance in very soft water? Do you happen to know anyone who has pet rabbits?