PDA

View Full Version : 125 Gallon

freshwaterfishlover
05-28-2014, 11:55 PM
In a few months I maybe moving into a bigger apartment. With a bigger Apartment comes a BIGGER tank. 125 Gallon( 6 feet). Would it be big enough for 2 Florida Atlantic Stingrays? I read they are one of the smallest Stingrays with a max Disc size of around 2 feet at full grown.

toddnbecka
05-30-2014, 08:16 AM
A 125 is only 18" front-to-back, and even smaller rays would need a much larger area than that.

Compass
05-30-2014, 09:33 AM
You definitely want something with more width. They need bottom surface area. A lot of tanks I've seem them in are square just for that reason. You don't have to go full square but you want a fatter tank than standard size. Have you looked at tea cup sting rays? I know very little about them but I was under the impression they staid rather small.

freshwaterfishlover
05-30-2014, 11:33 AM
I always wanted Stingrays for years. Also my favorite commonly found aquarium stingray is the Freshwater Florida Atlantic Stingray. I also know they are the type of Stingray that stays at the top of the water and I can contest to this since I have seen them before. I have read they only grow a disc size of only 2 feet max . What would you guys suggest as a absolute minimum size for 1 and for 2?

freshwaterfishlover
05-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Petsolution.com says max size is only around 14".

Compass
05-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Personally I'd say you'd need a tank that's at least 6'X4'. But I'm not an expert and I've never had a stingray. I would check with these guys:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/

They are the ones who know this stuff.

Cliff
05-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Petsolution.com says max size is only around 14".

IMO, That would still make a 18" wide tank too small for them. Although I have never kept rays, I would think they are like all other fish and need a tank they can comfortable turn around in.

toddnbecka
05-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Teacup rays are small, but also considered more difficult to keep in aquariums. Motoro rays are one of the easiest species, generally recommended for starting with. A wide, shallow tank is best for any rays, an indoor pond or pool would be much better. I've seen indoor ponds built with 4x4 frames and a pond liner, much less expensive than an aquarium, and better suited to their needs. Not something suitable for most apartments though. Minimum depth for ray tanks would be 24".

freshwaterfishlover
05-30-2014, 08:39 PM
I was thinking of downgrading to a 120g that is 4x2x2.