PDA

View Full Version : Someone's Happy

SueD
05-25-2014, 05:21 AM
Just found one tetra fry in my 20 gal long tank. I have Kerri Blue tetras and black neon tetras in this tank with Panda cories. Not quite sure who the proud parents are, but I'm leaning toward the Kerri Blues. Doesn't yet have the full coloring of the Kerri or the sheen of the black neon, so I'll have to wait a bit to be sure. It looks big enough now to not get eaten, but it's too small for any kind of picture (that I can take, anyway). And it's staying closer to the back of the tank, although it's swimming freely and not hiding.

Just excited that any fry survived, and here's hoping for a few more down the road - whatever it might be. Now if I could just entice those cories to get a little cozier.

mommy1
05-25-2014, 05:24 AM
Congratulations, it's always neat to find fry in the tank.

steeler58
05-25-2014, 05:53 AM
What Mommy1 said :thumb:.

Sue I don't know if you knew they found another species of Inpaichthys, calling them the "blueberry kerri/tetra".

SueD
05-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Had not seen these - they look really nice. Probably impossible to get for a while. Do you think they would breed with the regular Kerri. Wouldn't want to, just wondering if they could be in the same tank without cross breeding.

Slaphppy7
05-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Congrats on the fry, Sue!...keep looking, there may be more

korith
05-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Mystery fry are always interesting. I'm gonna guess it is kerri blue. Black neon eggs need to be kept in very darkened tank, since they are photosensitive. Much like regular neon tetras, can be hard to breed in a regular tank. Breeders will completely black out the tank in order to save the eggs, until fry appear. It is possible though it could be a black neon fry, if the egg happened to get dropped into a very dark part of the tank.

SueD
05-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes, I'm thinking it's a kerri also. Exciting either way, and so unexpected with all of the other fish in there. He's already about twice the size of a new guppy fry so he's been there a little while.

Now, I have to wonder if I siphoned others out when they were still tiny. When I do a substrate clean at the back of the tank, I don't really pay much attention as I can see most of the fish and they just move out of the way. But with new fry... Oh well, will have to be more cautious from now on.

Slaphppy7
05-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Or siphon into buckets, if feasible.....with big tanks you need alot of buckets!

Don't worry about it, you had no clue...now at least you know to be a bit more careful in the future

Unless my sand is very dirty, and it usually isn't, I don't even vacuum the substrate anymore....lots of places in my tank, you can't really reach with the Python, anyway, so I have a panty hose over the tube of the siphon...close the lid down on it, get it going into the flower bed, and walk away, get other stuff done...and no fear of sucking up fish or shrimp

SueD
05-26-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't siphon the substrate all that much either since I have a good number of plants in this tank and driftwood which is hard to get around. Just happened to do a good one a couple of weeks ago.

I do use the bucket for my 10G as it has guppy fry all the time, and on two 5 gals I have with micro fish. I could use it on this one too for removing the old water I suppose and just use the python for refill. Refilling is more of a pain when using buckets than siphoning out. I use the python to refill the 10G but I use buckets to refill the 5 gallons and use a bowl to scoop the water out of the bucket back into the tanks.