PDA

View Full Version : feeding Betta in a community?

cm12setx
05-22-2014, 01:46 AM
This is a question that i don't know the answer to? Bettas eat different food than other tropical fish right? If so how would you feed a community with one Betta and pigmy cory's. I would like to not mess up.

madagascariensis
05-22-2014, 02:31 AM
The "bettas require special food" thing is a marketing ploy. In nature, bettas are primarily insectivorous with some plant matter eaten, so in this Regard they resemble a lot of other small aquarium fish. I bet that a betta would be completely content with a good community flake food.

The Pygmy cories will need something that sinks though, so get sinking pellets for them.

cm12setx
05-22-2014, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the response. It makes sense to try to sell you other stuff you dont really need. But wanted to make sure.

Stlouisfish
05-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Sell stuff you don't need? LOL How about "betta water" (I've seen that at my LFS) - there's a ton of stuff out there "just for bettas" - like 1 gallon tanks which are totally inappropropriate.

Know what a fish normally eats (plant based diet, meat based diet, etc.) and make sure you offer it a variety for balance.

Slaphppy7
05-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Our community-based betta gets tropical and cichlid flakes, micro pellets, and everything else we offer the guppies and platys (brine shrimp, blood worms, etc)

cm12setx
05-22-2014, 09:22 PM
again thanks for the response.

Azurescriber
05-24-2014, 01:54 AM
I've actually started netting my betta, suspending him in the water with food all to himself. His tank mates are way too fast for him to compete well, and he loves the net...he swims right in.

cm12setx
05-24-2014, 02:05 AM
thanks that is a cool idea and will try to see if he will go for it. it is really fun to see how he reacts when i walk in to the room. he kind of wiggles and will swim in a circle. like a dog who is happy to see you.