PDA

View Full Version : How to keep platy from breeding.

MagickFish
07-23-2006, 08:45 AM
In my new tank I wish to have five male guppy and a pair of red platy (I think that is the english name for them.) and an alge eater to help clean the tank. My question is, is there a way to keep the platy from having babies, it is entertaining to watch but this aquarium is realy just big enough for the eight fish I got planned and can not suport a butch of babies and platy breed like rabbits. Can I have two females or two males or will they not go well together then?

rollie
07-23-2006, 09:22 AM
just so you know. platys can change sexes. it been proven.

i would not worry about babys.

they will eat them, if they can get them

copper is birth controct, for fish.

but to much can killed them

MagickFish
07-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Thank you for the information. platys can change sex? that is amasing. I feel bad for the little baby fish thoug being eaten, when I had a bigger aquarium I used to wish them up and place tem in a baby chamber and sell them, but I dont have room for a baby chamber in this aquarium. They were so cute, the tin, tiny red babies. I think I will stay of adding copper, I want the wish to have a safe enviroment.

William
07-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Staying away from copper is a good move since it is a toxin even when used in none letal amounts. But as rollie say, most fry will be eaten and some might survive to adult hood in your tank in which case you can sell those.

MagickFish
07-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Well I am getting an alga eater so I guess he will eat most of the baby fish, I just hate it when my pets die, oh well I guess the platys will breen then. And if a few babies survive I guess I can do as you say and sell them.

William
07-24-2006, 03:54 AM
The algea eater will most likely not touch your fry. Unless your talking about a "flying fox"

MagickFish
07-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I am not sure what to get, I will let the zoo shup pepole recomend one, before I had a (I am not sure what it is called in English on Norweegian it was Sjokolade malle) but it constanly hit my tetras in the head whit its tail and ate them.