PDA

View Full Version : no more cray

aquariumlover10
05-05-2014, 12:47 AM
Ok so I just looked at my tank and noticed they my otos are knowwere to be seen and I am going to put her back in the pond that I found her in because my mom wount take me to my LFS that sells crays but she would probaly eat the others in the tank and she ate some ghost shrimp so yeah I will be letting her go and getting some more otts and maybe some corys or something I don't know.

madagascariensis
05-05-2014, 01:32 AM
It is generally not recommended to introduce an animal kept in an aquarium to the wild, even if you originally got it from a natural body of water. While the species may be native to the area, there is a chance that disease organisms that contacted the animal while in captivity are also going to get released into the wild.

Unless of course the pond you are talking about is something along the lines of a small private goldfish pond in a suburban neighborhood that is not connected to any wild water body and miles away from the outskirts of town.

Since the damage already seems to have been done, why not just keep the crayfish for a few weeks longer until your parents need to go to town or something?

aquariumlover10
05-05-2014, 01:43 AM
The pond is just a rain water runoff pond thing but its stocked with plecos, and crays and I haven't had any diseases in my tank that my cray can get but I am worried that she will eat my betta since she now has a thirst for blood.

Cliff
05-05-2014, 01:55 AM
You got some great advice already

Is this the setup you are talking about here ?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=116024

Do you have another aquarium or a QT tank you can put the crayfish in until you can take him to a LFS ?

aquariumlover10
05-05-2014, 02:05 AM
Yup that's the tank but I only have 7-9 mosquitosfish, no ottos and about 6 ghost shrimp and I can't set up any other tanks I am not even supposed to have one because I am in a rental and I may try to get my mom to take me to my LFS so I can also get more ghosts.

aquariumlover10
05-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Ok I am going to try to take my cray to my lfs to get store credit and get more ghosts and some albino, bronze, or pepper mayne mix but I want to try to breed them too.

aquariumlover10
05-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Ok so what spiecies of the ones I listed should I get and how many? I want to try to breed them.

aquariumlover10
05-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Hello, anyone?

Slaphppy7
05-06-2014, 01:42 PM
You are talking about corys, right? I would not get more than 4 or so for a tank that size, but they do better in larger groups

A 10 gallon is really not an ideal size tank to raise corys, in my opinion

aquariumlover10
05-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Ok my stock is 6-8 mosquitofish, 1 zebra danio, 1 upsidedown catfish, 1 male betta, and about 6 ghost shrimp, my plant stock is hornwort, brazilian pennywort, aponegeton, the equivilent of a medium marimo moss ball, and a tiny bit of cambomba my filter is a aquatech 30-60 power filter so how many of which ones should I get?

Slaphppy7
05-06-2014, 02:51 PM
To be honest, you are pretty well stocked already with that tank...that being said, I really think you need to consider upping your zebra danio number to at least 6, at a minimum, they are a shoaling fish and do much better in groups

Here's some good info for you: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/zebrafish.php

aquariumlover10
05-06-2014, 04:42 PM
I know but the zebra danio schools with the mosquitofish.

madagascariensis
05-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Indeed it is, as a schooling species it will always look for some companionship, as the alternative of being alone is even worse for the danio. However, it would much prefer its own species to shoal with.

I have to agree with Slaphppy though, that tank is very heavily stocked esp. with the upside down cat.

aquariumlover10
05-07-2014, 12:29 AM
I know I know I shouldn't have one in a ten gallon but its still small and slow growing so I should upgrade before it full grown, ok you can't stop me from geting some corys because I need something to eat algae and left over food and stuff so how many and what type?

Cliff
05-07-2014, 12:36 AM
If you have left over food, try feeding less. That will also help with the algae along with larger weekly waterchanges.

I would not put cories or any type of danio in a 10 gallon. IMO & IME, neither will do well long term in a set-up that small.

I'm sorry to hear that your not open to all suggestions. Everyone posting in this thread is trying to help you and your fish.

aquariumlover10
05-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Youknow that people keep cories in 2.5 gallon betta tanks for over 1 and a half years, and when I move I am going to upgrade to a 20 gallon long or a 29 gallon.

Cliff
05-07-2014, 01:39 AM
Maybe it might be best to wait a little while until you get your 20 or 29 gallon then. One less move for your fish would mean less stress for them as well.

I would suggest a little more research into the proper aquarium size for fish. It is not only based on the fully grown adult size, but also on the typical activity level and schooling needs.

aquariumlover10
05-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Ok so I was just outside and my friends from down the street were out and i was about to take my cray to a pond and my friends ask me if they could have it and I was like yea please so I am going to keep it for the night until they can set up a kritter keeper set up for it until they get another tank and ask there dad if they could have it so I need a idea for a filter that they can setup that does not require a air pump.

aquariumlover10
05-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Anyone hello?

madagascariensis
05-10-2014, 01:19 AM
Well, have you considered a small HOB?

aquariumlover10
05-10-2014, 02:42 AM
I don't know because they will probaly want to bring the tank down to my house and it is temporary because one of them is getting a tank for there room on there birthday.

Richard Peche
05-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Youknow that people keep cories in 2.5 gallon betta tanks for over 1 and a half years, and when I move I am going to upgrade to a 20 gallon long or a 29 gallon.

What some people do is beside the point. The fact that some people are cruel is not a reason for you to ignore honestly given advice.

Here's a tip, ask nicely for help and listen to the answer. If you don't agree with the answer then explain why. Comments such as the one you have made above will not earn you any friends.

That tank is well stocked and should not have the catfish. There is a website called aqadvisor that can give good advice on stocking.

No we cannot stop you from getting cories. (Again, a comment that is not going to get you anywhere). However, it is advisable to listen to advice from this forum. Many of the people on here are sucessful aquarists for a reason.

My tanks are running very well because of the advice from several members.

aquariumlover10
05-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Yea yea I know I didn't want the catfish but my grandpa said pick one and the other one was a featherfin so yea and he didn't pay fo it either oh and the commment thing I was really mad that day cause my parents wouldn't take me to petsmart cause I need some stuff and I hadn't been in 3 weeks oh I am probaly not getting the cories I will probaly just get some ottos.

Richard Peche
05-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Research! If you get the opportunity to choose something make sure it will be happy in your tank.

I did this by creating a 'dream list' of fish that I know will be happy in the tank I have. So when I see them I know that I will be able to keep them. A example of this is the Yellow Forktail Rainbow fish. I have been hunting these down for months with little success. I finally found them and snapped up 4 of them. They are very happy in my tank and should be able to remain there even when fully grown.

Have a look in the photo section if you wish to know what I keep in a 50gal community tank.

My second tank is a 35gal which has three inhabitants. One of these is a crayfish. It is not kept with anything that tries to harm it and it doesn't try to harm anything.

Correct stocking and research is the key to success in this hobby.