PDA

View Full Version : Ever try ramshorn snails in tough tanks?

2manyfish
11-10-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm doing that now. Trying very large ramshorn snails in my cichlid tanks. So far in the african tank (lab and peacock) the snail is doing great. In the blood parrot tank it's doing great too. In the oscar tank it hasn't moved yet...don't know if it's because the oscar hit it kind of hard when I dropped him in the tank or what.

My purpose is to be able to remove the plecos from the various tanks. I like the plecos, they do a bang up job but I hate to see them having to lurk all day while the cichlids are at play. I want to give them a tank of their own at some point, yet I want the cichlid tanks to keep looking as nice as they do now.

Anyone with long term experience with these snails in tough tanks?

country_boy454
11-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Well this wont help much but i aquired a plant a while back that had some tiny snails on it. Didnt know what they were and didnt really care. I put the plant in my convict tank knowing the snails would be eaten. About 3 weeks went by then suddenly i saw an empty small ramshorn shell stuck in the intake tube of my filter. I thought wow that one lived for a while. About 2 more weeks went by and i was cleaning the tank and thats when i noticed a large ramshorn. Little bigger than 1/4" still alive. It is now almost 1/2" and still living. They dont bother it at all. It will crawl by them and they just watch it.

cocoa_pleco
11-11-2007, 05:41 AM
ive heard of massively breeding snails like ramshorns being able to survive in rough tanks. i at one point want to try some mystery snails in my 50g long