PDA

View Full Version : general gar care: please help

eicg
04-28-2014, 09:03 PM
After my hundred gallon pond is stocked with goldfish and my turtles i would like to get another pond and put in an alligator gar or two. i realize they get huge and am willing to put in a huge pond to meet his/her care. In the winter he would come in or we will heat the pond. But i am just curious as to how to care for them, i cant find much helpful information on line. And yes i have had a pond before so i know the care for them. And there is a store near by that sells some young ones everyone in a while.

how many gallons or liters would you recommend for one, nothings to big i was going to get a almost 2000 gallon pond set up.
how deep should the pond be, length, width.
what temperature would you recommend and any other information you think is important.
thanks!

Crispy
05-01-2014, 12:11 AM
how big is the gar you plan on getting? I would prefer to grow them inside in a controlled aquarium until they reach a good size before putting them into a pond.

keep in mind they like tropical temps. not sure where abouts you live, but anywhere with a cold winter will cost a fortune to keep such a pond heated. as for pond size, bigger is always better.

eicg
05-01-2014, 01:36 AM
he's a tiny bit bigger than a foot. The stores had him a for a while i mean who besides me would like a gar that gets huge. So i guess the almost 2,000 gallon pond works for when he gets bigger. I can always set up our large inflatable impossible to pop pool inside during the winter.

eicg
05-01-2014, 01:37 AM
he is about a foot or so the store has had him a while.

Compass
05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
What type of gar is it? Here in TN they are native fish and live through some pretty cold winters, though I know a pond will get colder than a river.

eicg
05-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Sorry about the copy don't know what happened, its an alligator gar(Atractosteus spatula) they get big, i believe biggest gar in north America. The largest caught that i can find was like 365lbs and 8' 6'': something like that.( wild caught they tend to stay smaller in captivity).

Compass
05-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Hmmmm, I would think that it would handle colder weather (you'd have to dig a big ol' pond), but don't take my word for it. I'll defer to Crispy on this one.

Crispy
05-02-2014, 06:24 PM
I'd keep it inside in a controlled environment to grow it out some. 6'x2' 180g would be a minimum growout size tank. 2' of length it should be ready for a pond.

I would add small schoals of fish and eventually the gar should be big enough to take rosy reds/minnows/goldfish that you can supply once in the pond. gars are finicky eaters, you'll hafta experiment with different foods which is why I would start it off in an aquarium and find out what your particular gar likes to eat.

always good to feed them a variety if possible; raw shrimp/prawns, smelt/silversides, earthworms, superworms, crickets, grasshoppers, etc.

eicg
05-02-2014, 09:55 PM
OK that sounds like a good idea and i have also found a platinum gar that im interest in but any way the pound will be very big.

Compass
05-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Don't like to mow huh?

eicg
05-05-2014, 02:11 AM
I just love ponds.

eicg
07-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Would a young alligator gar eat largish goldfish 3-8in and also are they aggressive my mom seems to think there gonna eat me or our dog who hates water?

Sandz
07-06-2014, 06:45 PM
They have been known to take swipes at humans when threatened and they have teeth so if you dont know how to handle one and try, you could lose a finger.

These guys get bruiser size. And they need at least a 10k gallon pond when adult. They will eat whole mullet at 3ft and can easily take commet goldfish in the 5in range at 2ft. They have a head wider than their body most times so they will be able to eat almost anything in the tank. This is not like a florida gar or short nose that is generally finiky. It also is a surface fish most of the time and you will find it likes the upper regions of a pond. Lily pads are greatly appreciated.

eicg
07-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks I will beware of my hands currently the gar I'd around 6in so I figure it could live with my goldfish out side till the huge pond I'm working on is ready for it.

Sandz
07-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Good luck.

eicg
07-08-2014, 12:00 AM
So I'm not quite sure it's an alligator gar now, it has a big dark stripe running down it's back, and spots above it I'm going to the pets store tomarrow or the day after, I could get a picture but I was wondering what u think.

Sandz
07-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Depends on the snout and all that. I would think most gars sold are short nose gars and florida gars.

eicg
07-12-2014, 03:18 AM
The guy at the pet store sold it yesterday and we came to pick it up today so I didn't get it but he said he is getting true alligator gars and flordia alligator gars next week is a flordia alligator hard the same as a flordia spotted gar?

Sandz
07-14-2014, 05:33 PM
No - get the florida gar is you are getting a gar... let me show you the difference...

Florida Gar:
http://www.aquariumdomain.com/images/cichlid-FloridaGar.jpg

Alligator Gar:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k_cMfYUQGRA/UbQ96vmlZGI/AAAAAAAAAA8/Eyq6V-bNMWs/s400/alligator+gar+fish+main+2.jpg

You can judge which you would like in your pond...

ThatTexanGuy
08-17-2014, 04:14 AM
I live here on the Red River in north Texas. I can tell you from experience that those estimates of the Alligator gar getting to 8 foot are not just estimates of max size. That is a COMMON length. They are very commonly caught in Lake Texoma here at over 5 foot, and I've seen some whilst passing over bridges on the Red River that I wouldn't hesitate to place at close to 10 feet. They can also do some very serious damage to you if you aren't careful. They are very big, very powerful fish, and they can get somewhat territorial. That is usually where the attacks on humans come in. Make sure you dont let any small animals or children near that pond, especially once it starts getting larger, if you do eventually get one. They take small pets and things in our area that decide to go for a swim pretty commonly when owners aren't watching them.

afro123
08-17-2014, 07:42 AM
No - get the florida gar is you are getting a gar... let me show you the difference...

Florida Gar:
http://www.aquariumdomain.com/images/cichlid-FloridaGar.jpg

Alligator Gar:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k_cMfYUQGRA/UbQ96vmlZGI/AAAAAAAAAA8/Eyq6V-bNMWs/s400/alligator+gar+fish+main+2.jpg

You can judge which you would like in your pond...

YOWZAA!!!
that is one big fish :O