PDA

View Full Version : 2 oscars

Bassfan
11-09-2007, 10:22 PM
I just got an oscar not to long ago and I was wondering since I might have the chance to get a 90 gallon tank sometime next year could I have 2 oscars in my 55 until i switch them? Heres my concern, since this one I just got will be a little smaller than the other one will the bigger one kill it? Whats the usual behavior of adding a slighlty bigger (1-3 inches more tops) than the fish i have in now?

gm72
11-09-2007, 10:34 PM
You say you "might" have a chance to get a 90 gallon. Please don't add another oscar until you are sure you will be able to uphold the commitment to providing adequate housing for those fish.

cocoa_pleco
11-09-2007, 10:36 PM
can you 110% get the 90g? if so you can get the 2. if its not 110%, dont.

if ones smaller they may get along

Bassfan
11-09-2007, 10:37 PM
I mean I am getting one, what i meant to say was when next year. But i am getting one.

Oh and i meant to ask, do albino oscars look pretty when they get to adult size?

cocoa_pleco
11-09-2007, 10:44 PM
you need to know exactly when youre getting the 90g. i would say wait for it to get 2 oscars.

its up to your if albinos are pretty fullgrown, i personally think they do but some people dont.

Bassfan
11-09-2007, 10:45 PM
how do i make sure they look pretty full grown? And i think the tiger oscars look kind of ugly when they get big. But still cool fish.

gm72
11-09-2007, 11:53 PM
By giving them an ideal environment. Lots of filtration, plenty of space, frequent large water changes.

I'm with Cocoa. Please don't go with 2 oscars until you actually have the 90 and have purchased adequate filtration for such. You'll need a lot of filtration to keep up with 2 adult oscars.

Bassfan
11-09-2007, 11:55 PM
ok. so gm72 do you think albino oscars are pretty ?

gm72
11-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Personally? Some of them are, yes.

Bassfan
11-10-2007, 12:03 AM
mine seems to be more white than anything. he does have like these tiger like stripes but very light. He dont look too bad, has nice big fins on him.

Fred Raud
11-10-2007, 06:40 PM
ok. so gm72 do you think albino oscars are pretty ?
beauty is in the eyes of who??you??me???does it matter what others think??just love your fish,,they will be beautiful to you,,screw everyone else

Fred Raud

MeganL3985
11-10-2007, 07:19 PM
I dont understand "how do you make sure they're pretty full grown"....you dont know what a baby's going to look like full grown....you just love and accept them regardless. If you think the fish it pretty when you buy it, chances are your not going to care what it looks like when its older, b.c. if your like most of us here, you'll form some sort of attachment to your fish.
If you one of those "ornamental" fish type of person...then you need to do more research into what they look like when they're full grown....that way you don't end up having to get rid of it later on down the road, when/if you feel its not pretty.

2manyfish
11-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I like ablino oscars, I also like tigers, lutinos, reds, and gold ones and....well you get the idea!!

How to make sure it's nice looking as an adult? Good food, clean water, low stress for the fish (ex: no tankmates picking on it).

Bassfan
11-11-2007, 03:03 AM
I dont understand "how do you make sure they're pretty full grown"....you dont know what a baby's going to look like full grown....you just love and accept them regardless. If you think the fish it pretty when you buy it, chances are your not going to care what it looks like when its older, b.c. if your like most of us here, you'll form some sort of attachment to your fish.
If you one of those "ornamental" fish type of person...then you need to do more research into what they look like when they're full grown....that way you don't end up having to get rid of it later on down the road, when/if you feel its not pretty.

Did i miss something here? I was trying to find out what cocoa_pleco said when he said it was up to me if it was pretty at full grown size. I didnt say i was going to get rid of it at full grown or what it looks like when he got bigger. :confused:

Bassfan
11-11-2007, 03:05 AM
beauty is in the eyes of who??you??me???does it matter what others think??just love your fish,,they will be beautiful to you,,screw everyone else

Fred Raud

Well I agree, but certain foods and proper care can make them seem more pretty. I didnt mean to start anything.

Fred Raud
11-11-2007, 05:19 AM
the question i caught was if they were pretty,,pretty is very very subjective,,and i answered that question in the best way i knew how,,

Fred Raud

cocoa_pleco
11-11-2007, 05:39 AM
the only oscars i personally see as ugly are long-finned oscars.

gm72
11-11-2007, 04:43 PM
This thread is starting to go askew. There is a lot of misinterpretation going on. Megan's response was very good as was Fred's. Ask the question and you will get input. Period.

Listen, here's the point of it. You get a fish and take care of it. You provide it not with good conditions but IDEAL conditions. The fish grows up. You continue to take care of it by giving it everything it wants and needs to be happy and healthy. There is no way to predict what it will look like at adulthood, but you continue to take care of it as best you can.

The end.

Bassfan
11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
I know that and i didnt say i was going to get rid of it. I was just curious because ive seen many albino oscars look differently when they got bigger and i thought with the right food and care it could look at its best. sorry.

gm72
11-11-2007, 08:03 PM
...i thought with the right food and care it could look at its best.

It will indeed.