PDA

View Full Version : Bumblebee catfish!

Rue
11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
My poor Dojo disappeared...no idea when/where/how...:help:

So it's been a month and a couple of days ago I replaced him with 2 new Dojos since they apparently do better with company.

And while I was buying dojos...I saw the cutest little catfish! Bumblebee cats! These guys were unfamilar to me so I went home and looked them up...I think they'll be fine in my tanks, so I got 3 of them. Apparently they only grow to 3" so hopefully all the other fish in my tanks will be safe...I'm even trying one in the Puffer tank...I think it will do okay with the Puffers too given it has hiding spaces should they try and check it out...but I'll let you know...

markbob
11-09-2007, 02:32 PM
got any pics of these guys? Where are they from?

Azear
11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
just a quick possibility... Dojo love to hide in filters... have you checked ? might be "stuck" or "dead" in the filter... I've seen twice dojo going back up in the filter line and ending up in the filter...

Fishalicious
11-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Mmmh do you mean the Pseudopimelodus raninus or the Pseudomystus siamensis or the Microglanis iheringi?

They all get called the Bumblebee catfish as well as the different types of Microglanis - Microglanis poecilus, M. secundus and M. parahybae (all have different patterns)

A pic would be great :19: :19:

cocoa_pleco
11-09-2007, 02:50 PM
i bought one about 3 months ago.

they do stay small, but be warned if you have hiding spaces you will rarely to never see him. when i first bought mine i thought he was dead since i never saw him, but hes still alive, just a good hider.

Rue
11-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Mmmh do you mean the Pseudopimelodus raninus or the Pseudomystus siamensis or the Microglanis iheringi?

They all get called the Bumblebee catfish as well as the different types of Microglanis - Microglanis poecilus, M. secundus and M. parahybae (all have different patterns)

A pic would be great :19: :19:

I assumed they're M. iheringi...but maybe I'm wrong? I'll see if I can get a picture of one of them before they go into permanent hiding...

...and I'll check the filters again for the Dojo...I did look once when I first noticed it was missing, and my daughter checked again the other day...but neither one of us emptied them out completely yet...

Thanks!