PDA

View Full Version : dwarf puffer

squirt_12
11-09-2007, 03:30 AM
sorry if this is in the wrong place.
But they are truly freshwater correct???
and they can live with 1 per every 5g???
and they are a species only tank??

thanks.

Algenco
11-09-2007, 03:33 AM
I think most are brackish. :1:

cocoa_pleco
11-09-2007, 03:56 AM
theyre 100% FW, and they need 3g each. theyre recommended for species only.

if youre looking to put some in the 10g you want you could get away with 4-5 in a 10g

kimmers318
11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Although some websites will say 3 gals per dp, I wouldn't recommend it if you want a happy dp. I had to put my first one into my daughter's 5 gal eclipse because at the time of purchase I did not know, nor was I told, they don't play well with others. Missy went from a happy well fed dp to a sulking dp who barely ate for 2 weeks. Once I got the 10 gal ready for her she was as pleased as punch. A rectangular 5 gal that gives more side to side swimming/hunting room might work better than the corner eclipse. And even if you go with 3 gals per dp, that would be 3 max in a 10 gal....3 X 3=9. For little goomers they are messy, territorial, and needy.......and well worth the time you put into them!:c12:

squirt_12
11-12-2007, 03:08 AM
ok thanks everyone...i am going to go with 4...even though you said i should go with 3 but i am going to have ALOT of plants and ALOT of hiding places for them.
I have crap load of snails in my 33g that they can eat.

few questions:
1) does it matter the size of the snail i feed them?? it will be ramshorn??
2) will they eat all of the following:
- frozen blood worms
- frozen brine shrimp
- live BBS
- freeze dried tubifex worm
- freeze dried shrimp
- live ghost shrimp
- flake food
- shrimp pellets
- veggie rounds
- live commets (feeder goldfish)
- live feeder guppies
- freeze dried blood worms
- crickets???? small

ok well i think that that is everything that i have that i can offer them.

thanks.

cocoa_pleco
11-12-2007, 04:19 AM
they should eat crickets. i used to have some smaller and larger puffers years ago and all of them ate live crickets

squirt_12
11-12-2007, 11:29 PM
what should i use as their staple food????

Kaga's Kritters
11-12-2007, 11:41 PM
i have never heard of feeding them crickets.

cocoa_pleco
11-13-2007, 12:41 AM
i think their staple is snails

squirt_12
11-13-2007, 12:42 AM
i have never heard of feeding them crickets.
well no where in researching have i founf anything about it but....i know that they like LIVE foods so i was going to buy alot of crickets (since i need to feed my salamanders) and put them into a big container with some gel water (has a real name but forget) and breed them.

anyways back to the point....i think that they will eat them because they are wiggling around in the water and that should get the puffers attention.

squirt_12
11-13-2007, 12:43 AM
i think their staple is snails
well actually....after doing my research it said that snails should be fed as a snack...but i am going to plan on having snails in there all of the time so that the puffers can snack on them.

Fishalicious
11-13-2007, 12:49 AM
I think you will find that dwarfpuffers are picky eaters - but once you find what they like they will not stop eating or begging for food ;)

It really is trial and error and trying different foods to see if they will eat them or not.. mine enjoy bloodworms the most (fresh frozen) and White mosquito larvae as well as the snails I breed and throw in every few days.

They turn up their noses at me with disgust if I offer any kind of dry or freeze dried food .. and also fresh frozen artemia, black mosquito larvae and daphnia.

Have fun trying all the foods out ;)

squirt_12
11-13-2007, 12:58 AM
I think you will find that dwarfpuffers are picky eaters - but once you find what they like they will not stop eating or begging for food ;)

It really is trial and error and trying different foods to see if they will eat them or not.. mine enjoy bloodworms the most (fresh frozen) and White mosquito larvae as well as the snails I breed and throw in every few days.

They turn up their noses at me with disgust if I offer any kind of dry or freeze dried food .. and also fresh frozen artemia, black mosquito larvae and daphnia.

Have fun trying all the foods out ;)
alright...thanks alot Fishalicious..that was alot of help.

So i am guessing that yours wouldn't accept flake food?? what i am going to do..is that is the first thing i am going to try...i am going to put it inbetween my fingers and set it right in the stream of the filter and maybe that will make it look alive and they will eat it....i doubt it but i will try. lol.

squirt_12
11-13-2007, 11:46 PM
ok so well after doing more research i founf out that they wont accept 3\4 of the things that i have....but they will also eat blackworms so i think that i am going to have to get myself some of them.

My puffers are either coming in tomorrow or in 1 week. Depends when my LFS can get them in by.

"the"Trinity
11-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey squirt!

I was really interested to find this thread as my Fiance is making plans to create a Puffer-only 10g tank in the near future! You must let us know how you get along with them once you have them! Is it OK to put 4 in one tank together? We were planning on just the two in a 10g............

I have another (totally unrelated LOL!) question for ya! I was looking through your photobucket images in your sig. there and I noticed THIS photo:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff109/squirt_12_squirt/100_0439.jpg?t=1195071457

Is that one of your own tanks? If so......is that a red-lined torpedo barb I see? If so - how are you liking them and how do they get on in a (what is it - 30g.?) sized aquarium?? I jsut discovered these fish last night and they are BEAUTIFUL!!! :18:

TT

squirt_12
11-15-2007, 12:17 AM
"the"Trinity....yes that is my 33g tank and the red fish at the front is a Cherry Barb...and the one that is a deep red is the male and the female is a lighter red...more or less a pink. The cherry barbs are very energetic and are always swimming back and forth in the tank. Also 4 dps (dwarf puffers) will be fne in a 10g....2 would be great.... good luck.

Well my puffers didn't come in.... :( it appears that the LFS i was ordering them from...just found out that their breeder doesn't have dwarf puffers....they have prettty well every other ouffers but not that one...i guess that i will have to make a trip to petsmart and get them there.

squirt_12
11-18-2007, 05:22 PM
well i am going to my LFS today and picking up either 3 or 4 dwarf puffers today...i am so excited and can't wait.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: