PDA

View Full Version : My sterbai spawned tonight!

msjinkzd
11-09-2007, 12:33 AM
The sterbai cory in my 36g spawned tonight! I have never tried to hatch eggs before and need some advice. i was completely unprepared for this as most people say they are kind of difficult to breed and i was not trying to breed them. I managed to collect about 12 eggs before the cherry barbs ate them all and placed them into a tupperware container filled with tank water. They are attached to plants at the moment. I have the container clipped with a chip clip (high tech i know) in the top of the main tank rigth now. Tomorrow I am planning on picking up an airstone to put in the container. Any advice? I know they should hatch in 3-4 days and then eat their yolk sacs for another 4 or so days....YIKES, this is exciting! Unfortunately I am going out of town for a week on monday, hopefully they will be ok. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

gm72
11-09-2007, 01:05 AM
You'll want to add an anti-fungal formula such as methylene blue to avoid the eggs getting fungal. Other than that, not much needs to be done! Contrats!

Algenco
11-09-2007, 01:11 AM
they should be ok until you return. Baby cories do best in a well established tank with a lot of detritus to root around in.
I have a LEE 3-way breeder tap that would work well for raising a dozen for a few weeks. Try to pick up something like it, hard plastic, no netting. Do you know anyone that has microworms? They are ideal food for the little cats.

Oh, congratulations!

mitcore
11-09-2007, 02:12 AM
congrats on the eggs good luck

Arkie
11-09-2007, 04:15 AM
congrats on the eggs and good luck. keep us updated on the progress :22:

Lady Hobbs
11-09-2007, 04:19 AM
I think I'd move the cherry barbs and put the eggs back in for the parents to raise. But congratulations.

Man, new babies all over the board tonight.