PDA

View Full Version : Could a brackish pond be possible?

Silver Carp
03-24-2014, 01:52 AM
I got a pond in my backyard I'm going to Renovate in the summer and after watching videos of people with full saltwater ponds I thought about having a brackish pond with Euryhaline fish and inverts. I'm not sure how well this would work where I live( canada) but from what I know brackish species would be able to tolerate stuff like rain and exess nutrients in the water. I was also thinking of using oysters as filtration and base rock for the fish to hide in from racoons. The pond itself is going to be 5 ft long and about 4 ft deep which should be enough just in case we get an extremly cold winter and summer. The only real problem I can see that leaves could fall into the pond and possibly pollute it. Any way if anyone can give me some ideas on stocking and stuff it would be greatly apriciated.

fleetseasyrider
02-09-2018, 02:59 AM
Hi, I'm sure a brackish pond would be possible considering that a lot of brackish fish are wild caught, as long as you had heating of some sort. It might take some trial and error but I'm sure it could be done. Mudskippers would be a good brackish pond fish and maybe some crabs. As for leaves, you can take them out as you see them but they tend to float, so I doubt it would become an issue. I'm sure you could do it! :)