PDA

View Full Version : Sand please help

eicg
03-22-2014, 11:46 PM
So by noon tomorrow I need to have "sand" in a tank I have. The tank is just invertebrates and I just fond out about this. So I can't go to the store tomorrow or today because there to far away, is there anything that looks like sand that I could use instead of sand and I need replies fast. Thanks

CrunchyLeaf
03-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Since you can't go to the store this needs to be something that looks like sand that you could potentially just have lying around your house?

Slaphppy7
03-23-2014, 12:16 AM
What kind of inverts?

eicg
03-23-2014, 12:24 AM
yes and "freshwater" crabs.

Slaphppy7
03-23-2014, 12:43 AM
Wow...sorry but I don't have a clue what you could substitute for sand, that would be safe and readily available...hope you figure out something

eicg
03-23-2014, 01:13 AM
You know the colored sand packets for the sticky art stuff, do you think that would work?

Stingrayg4
03-23-2014, 01:18 AM
You know the colored sand packets for the sticky art stuff, do you think that would work?

I would definitely assume that something in that stuff is toxic.

-S

CrunchyLeaf
03-23-2014, 01:22 AM
Do you have sand in your yard anywhere? I personally wouldn't do that but maybe you could research it and see if you could bake or boil it to make it safe for aquarium use. Seems sketchy....why can't you go to the store? No ride?

eicg
03-23-2014, 01:47 AM
the closest store is an hour away and i don't have a ride and we used to have a sandbox but my one of my cats turned it into a litter box. Would just some normal soil work, maybe.

korith
03-23-2014, 03:22 AM
the closest store is an hour away and i don't have a ride and we used to have a sandbox but my one of my cats turned it into a litter box. Would just some normal soil work, maybe.

Normal soil could contain too many different things, chemicals, metals, excess nutrients. Cause serious algae problems, or could end up killing the inverts. You can keep the tank bare bottom, until you get a chance to get to the store. Hmm could always find small gravel, pebbles, stones and stuff, rinse it real well.

I would avoid the colored sand, the dyes may be toxic, or leach out into the water.

eicg
03-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Ok do they use chemicals in the sand for sand boxes?

korith
03-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Ok do they use chemicals in the sand for sand boxes?

Doubtful. Probably just play sand sold in huge bags at home depot type stores. Though if you are unsure, probably best not to risk it.

CrunchyLeaf
03-23-2014, 06:30 PM
A lot of ppl use play sand (sold for sand boxes) in their aquariums, but if it has been in your sand box, I wouldn't use it. No telling what it could have been tainted with.

eicg
03-23-2014, 07:54 PM
No it's not been in a sand box outside there's an ace down the street and I believe they carry sand box sand.

korith
03-23-2014, 09:17 PM
No it's not been in a sand box outside there's an ace down the street and I believe they carry sand box sand.

That will be fine. Sand box sand is probably thing sold as play sand. You could also look at pool filter sand also, I have used that before. Around the sand price as the play sand. Usually there are a few different sands at these stores, and almost without fail there are a few ripped bags with sand on the floor near them. Good way to see the color of the sand, some are more white or brown then others.

eicg
03-23-2014, 09:30 PM
I have bought sandbox sand and it's been added to the aquarium and the crabs should be introduced to there new home tomorrow.