PDA

View Full Version : New freshwater fiddler crabs!

eicg
03-21-2014, 06:36 PM
I just got 3 freshwater fiddler crabs, 1 male and 2 female. I was planing on breeding them, which I know is very hard. Does anyone have any tips for breeding them if not should i put this under breeding.

madagascariensis
03-21-2014, 07:18 PM
First, they aren't freshwater crabs. You will need to set up a brackish tank for them to breed or just keep them long term.
Secondly, they need a substantial land area because they aren't actually aquatic. The land area should be very deep and made if fine sand, because they burrow and actually need to do so to bred.
I'm not an expert with crabs and that is all I can think of right now. I bet there is more to it, so you may want to research their care and breeding yourself.

Good luck in the endeavor.

eicg
03-21-2014, 08:25 PM
They are in a large tank to them selves half land half water and the water is slightly brackish.

madagascariensis
03-21-2014, 10:42 PM
if you get them to breed, then it would be awesome if you could share pictures of your success!
I don't think that these crabs are bred with any regularity in the hobby.

eicg
03-22-2014, 12:00 AM
There not I can barely find anything on Google and I will defiantly post pictures.

eicg
04-21-2014, 01:00 AM
I'm please to tell everyone i have 1 baby crab. Sadly one of my female crabs actually died and her body was sent away. Today went to clean the huge cage and i have found a new younger female, my older female and my male so i have a baby and cant wait for more.

stx2006
04-21-2014, 02:24 AM
I don't see how they breed In your tank. Because the female goes miles out in the ocean to have her babies. Then they stay floating in the ocean for months before they return to the beach. I've never seen anyone breed them in a tank.

KingFisher
04-21-2014, 03:14 AM
The female probably molted and that was her old shell.

_TihBgdoFBw

eicg
04-22-2014, 09:26 PM
hmm maybe put it seemed like it was dead dead as it it felt like the insides were still in it and i have herd of people breading them in captivity before.

Andrews
04-22-2014, 09:55 PM
To the untrained eye it would look like a dead crab, how ever the only way crustaceans grow is through molting. In the event you did have a new crab, you would have noticed a half a dozen molts before it reached its current size

eicg
04-23-2014, 08:57 PM
OK that makes sense.