PDA

View Full Version : Surprise bristlenose spawn

Stingrayg4
03-21-2014, 12:06 AM
My big male albino bristlenose has been holed up in a knot hole in a piece of driftwood for a couple weeks. I was aware that this is spawning behavior, but I didn't think that the biggest female in that tank was old enough to breed. Guess I was wrong. I just noticed a little wriggler on the back glass. A quick inspection of the tank revealed two more. This tank is loaded with plants rocks and driftwood, so I have no idea how many more might be in there. Also dad is still in his cave, which I think means there are probably more in there. I tried to get some pics, but they were terrible and I think we've all seen enough terrible pictures of fry. If I can get any decent shots I'll post them up. Pretty excited, baby critters are always fun.

-S

Stingrayg4
03-22-2014, 02:35 AM
So far I've managed to count six at one time. Dad is still spending most of his time in his cave. Finally managed to catch one on the front glass and got a decent pic.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7460/13320538544_f69301bfcb_c.jpg

-S

SueD
03-22-2014, 02:51 AM
Nice - so are both male and female albinos? I saved a bunch of eggs that were kicked out of the cave a few weeks ago and ended up with 23 fry. So you most likely have a lot more than you've seen so far.

Stingrayg4
03-22-2014, 04:41 AM
Nice - so are both male and female albinos?

Yes, both are albinos.

I saved a bunch of eggs that were kicked out of the cave a few weeks ago and ended up with 23 fry. So you most likely have a lot more than you've seen so far.

Well, I just hope some of them survive. There are quite a few fish in that tank other than the plecos. There are a lot of hiding places, so I'm hopeful.

-S

Stingrayg4
03-22-2014, 03:30 PM
This pic is still pretty bad, but so far it's the only one I've managed to get from the top that is clear enough to be able to tell what you're looking at.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/13330581883_5733a78a48_c.jpg

Here's another pretty good one of one on the glass.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3700/13330901474_1effc0d407_c.jpg

So far I've still only seen a total of six at a time, but there are so many places that they can hide in this tank that it would be impossible to get an accurate count. I just hope the other fish don't eat all of them, I'd sure like to transfer some of them to other tanks when they get big enough.

I saw dad out grazing all the way on the opposite side of the tank this morning, until now he would only pop out of the cave for a few seconds at a time. He's back in the cave now though. It's at an angle where I can't see inside it when he's not in there, so if he has any more inside remains a mystery .

-S

DeboraBremner
03-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Congrats!!! Nice looking little ones!

talldutchie
03-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Scatter some food and a lot will survive.

Slaphppy7
03-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Congrats on the fry, Sting!...nice pics, too

Stingrayg4
03-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Scatter some food and a lot will survive.

I'm not worried about them getting enough to eat, main concern is them becoming a meal. Still, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to stock them in my other tanks before long.

-S

talldutchie
03-23-2014, 06:08 AM
Quicker they grow the quicker they are off the menu. What's the biggest species in your tank?

Stingrayg4
03-24-2014, 01:52 AM
Quicker they grow the quicker they are off the menu. What's the biggest species in your tank?

Other than the male bristlenose, a Bolivian Ram.

-S

Stingrayg4
03-24-2014, 02:08 AM
Pardon me for a moment while I derail my own thread. We had another surprise baby here at the Stingray Ranch today. We were gone for most of the day and when we got home this afternoon, we discovered that one of our dairy goats had a baby girl. We knew she was pregnant, but weren't expecting her to deliver for a couple more weeks. We also have another one who could be due any day now. Just thought I'd share. :D

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/stingrayg4/Mobile%20Uploads/13956262606090.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/stingrayg4/Mobile%20Uploads/13956262827021.jpg

-S

Slaphppy7
03-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Ahhh, precious...dairy goats, eh?....I bet you guys have some good goat cheese

DeboraBremner
03-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Love the pics!! Does that mean it's spring?

talldutchie
03-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Other than the male bristlenose, a Bolivian Ram.

-S

Not entirely sure but a fry more than a few days old would probably be not a good snack to that ram. My barbs go for anything that wriggles and looks even remotely bite sized but I've seen them slam the brakes quite a few times when they notice their attack run was directed to a heavily armoured loricarid with stings as well.

Lovely goats!

KevinVA
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Congrats on the fry and baby goat! That's fantastic news and they look perfectly healthy. =] Look at that momma goat... so proud of herself. lol

Stingrayg4
03-24-2014, 11:30 PM
Unfortunately the baby goat isn't doing great. She hasn't figured out how to nurse and isn't getting any nutrients from her mom. We've got her in the house under a heat lamp now. Trying to feed her milk from her mother, but she won't take the bottle either. We're pretty much having to poor it down her throat until she gets the hang of how to drink from a bottle. We're still hopeful that she's going to be okay.

No idea how the bristlenose fry are doing. Every second of spare time today has been spent with the little goat.

-S

KevinVA
03-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Awww, poor thing. Good luck, man.

Slaphppy7
03-25-2014, 01:31 AM
Oh darn, I'm hoping she's gonna be ok...I know y'all are doing your best

Stingrayg4
03-27-2014, 12:38 AM
I hadn't noticed any fry for the last couple of days, so was starting to think they had all been eaten. Just now I saw two without having to search the tank too hard, so we're still in the bristlenose business.

The little goat has improved quite a bit. She still won't nurse properly, but we're able to get enough milk into her to keep her going by dripping it into her mouth a little at a time. Little by little she is starting to take to the bottle a little more readily. Her energy is coming up quite a bit, I'm happy to say. My wife let her out of her crate earlier and she was running and jumping around the kitchen like crazy. Yes, I realize that having a loose goat in the house makes me a bit of a nut.

Maybe this thread needs to be moved out of the pleco forum and into the goat forum. There's a goat forum, right?

-S

Slaphppy7
03-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Good fry news, and good "kid" news, great to hear!

Get us a fry pic when you have time (yeah right, sounds like time is a precious commodity when it comes to fish for you right now, but we understand, and can be patient...I think, lol)

I have never had the pleasure of a goat in my house, but I'd love to see that kind of activity from the little girl...I'd be willing to bet she ends up just fine, and is outside of the house and raising havoc before we know it thumbs2:

I've been searching for the "goat" forum here since you mentioned it, and I think it's actually called "Chatterbox" at the bottom of the forum page, where we can talk about pretty much anything we want..within reason, of course....you could even post a new pic, or even a short video, of the little girl...I for one would love to see her "running and jumping like crazy", lol

KevinVA
03-27-2014, 05:41 AM
Ditto to that. A video of the kid would be awesome. Glad to hear everything's going well!

Stingrayg4
03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
The weather is supposed to be warmish today, I'm sure she'll be spending some time outside, I'll try to get a video. I know from past experience that no matter how much fun they're having at the time, as soon as you point a camera at a baby goat they stand perfectly still and do nothing. ;)

-S

Stingrayg4
03-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Here are a couple of videos of previous year's baby's. The one in the first video is now pregnant and should be delivering any day now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaAbkr_BUFc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQG-4sBYO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

-S

SueD
03-27-2014, 11:55 AM
The weather is supposed to be warmish today, I'm sure she'll be spending some time outside, I'll try to get a video. I know from past experience that no matter how much fun they're having at the time, as soon as you point a camera at a baby goat they stand perfectly still and do nothing. ;)

-S

Wouldn't it be nice if our fish did that!

Slaphppy7
03-27-2014, 01:06 PM
yeah, those kids are precious...I want one!

Stingrayg4
03-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Wow, it's been an exhausting morning. The second goat kidded overnight. She wants nothing at all to do with her baby. I finally gave up on getting her to let him nurse and brought him inside. I milked the mom and thankfully the baby is as eager about taking milk from a bottle as a baby goat should be. He seems fine and healthy, if only his mom would take care of him. Sigh. Two goats in the house now.

So I have one baby who won't nurse and one mom who won't let her baby nurse. I wish I could give the eager kid to the eager mom, but sadly, it doesn't work that way. I gotta go heat up some bottles.

Here's a pic of the two of them, the previous baby is actually the aunt of today's arrival.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/stingrayg4/kids.jpg

-S

Slaphppy7
03-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Wow, you're up to your eyeballs in kids!...they're so cute, though...but sounds like alot of work, as you said

KevinVA
03-27-2014, 04:35 PM
They're adorable, man. Congrats on the new babe. I'm sorry that you've run into trouble with one of the kids and one of the mothers, but it seems like you have everything in hand and taken care of. You're good goat parents. lol

ratsmax
03-28-2014, 05:32 AM
My friend just got 3 baby goats from one mom. The last one he said came out back legs first and he had to grab the baby and pull him out on his own good luck to all your lil babies!

Stingrayg4
03-28-2014, 03:51 PM
My friend just got 3 baby goats from one mom. The last one he said came out back legs first and he had to grab the baby and pull him out on his own

I wasn't present for the birth of either of these kids, but I have been told that a difficult delivery can result in a kid not wanting to nurse. I suspect that it's possible that the first kid may have had a difficult delivery resulting in the problems we've been having with her.

I'm happy to report that the little girl has improved drastically over the last 24 hours. She's now taking the bottle more or less correctly, I can get her fed in about five minutes now instead of the 30-45 that it was taking for the first couple of days. She still fights it a little, and her energy is way up so if she decides to fight, there's going to be a fight.

The little boy who was born yesterday is doing fine. He was taking the bottle with no problems from the start. His mom isn't giving a huge amount of milk though, so he'll most likely start being fed with milk from the little girl's mom who is giving plenty, I'm getting about a half gallon from her every day. The little boy is gaining confidence on his feet and is getting around better and better from minute to minute it seems. He's only a little over a day old, so he's still pretty wobbly. The little girl really wants to play with him at this point, but he's not really up to it yet.

Here's a short video I just got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDLlB1pamuE

And in a fairly weak attempt to drag this thread back on topic, I do still have some fish.

Mods: It would be fine with me if you would like to move this to Chatterbox and change the name to "Suprise, this bristlenose thread is about goats!"

Slaphppy7
03-28-2014, 04:11 PM
They are so precious, love the "clumsiness" as they explore...thanks for the new vid!

KevinVA
03-28-2014, 04:28 PM
"Suprise, this bristlenose thread is about goats!"

lol, either way, it's a great thread. I'm glad you've kept us up to date on their progress. They're such cute little things.

"I will get on this log, and it shall be glorious!"

Stingrayg4
04-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Both baby goats are now eating well and seem perfectly healthy.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2913/13547686744_7ae8d84486_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/13547743304_41450916a3_c.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3805/13547407075_56c0019e0b_c.jpg

-S

KevinVA
04-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Haha Great photos! Thanks for sharing. They look very healthy and active. Well done, pops!

Slaphppy7
04-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Those are great photos, they are so precious...I like the first one, where the little white one is "levitating", too funny

Are they different kinds?...one has the big floppy ears, one doesn't

Stingrayg4
04-01-2014, 02:58 PM
They're different breeds. The one with long ears is a Nubian, short ears is a LaMancha. Both are dairy goat breeds.

-S

Slaphppy7
04-01-2014, 03:03 PM
LOL, the white one is "The Kid From LaMancha"

I bet fresh goat cheese is so much more delicious than the store bought stuff...

Stingrayg4
04-01-2014, 03:12 PM
I bet fresh goat cheese is so much more delicious than the store bought stuff...

I've actually never tried to make cheese, because it takes a huge amount of milk. This year I will probably have enough girls in milk at the same time to be able to give it a try. I have one more girl who is probably pregnant, but not as far along as the other two. Fresh milk is indeed far more delicious than anything you will ever get at any store. If you've never had milk that came from the animal that day, then you've never really had milk. A lot of people make a face and say "EWW!" when you say "goat milk". When questioned, these people invariably have never tried it, or have only had old goat milk that came from a can or something. I honestly cannot tell any difference at all between goat milk and cow milk.

-S

Slaphppy7
04-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Understood...I've never even had fresh COW milk, much less goat milk, but I'd sure give it a try

Let us know if you get enough this year to try the cheese!

Stingrayg4
04-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Let us know if you get enough this year to try the cheese!

I've done some reading on it, and everyone seems to agree that it's best to try yogurt first before moving on to cheese because it's the same process but doesn't take as long. I'm a pretty big yogurt fan, so I will most likely do that. I have a friend who knows how it's done and has offered to help get me started. Right now I'm just looking forward to being able to drink the milk again, I haven't had a girl in milk since 2012. As it is, every drop of milk I'm getting has to be saved for feeding the babies.

-S

Slaphppy7
04-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Yeah, yogurt would be awesome too, but it sounds like every drop is precious right now