PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow fish tank 160 ltrs

gaylet71
03-14-2014, 03:13 AM
Hi There I have a 160 litre fish tank and would like to have Rainbow . The tank is a corner unit I love the Rainbow fish but do not know which ones to get . I do not want to over stock the tank . Rainbow fish seem to be quite big in size . Do you have any opinions on how many I could fit in my tank and which ones to choose

Cheers
Gayle

Amelia
03-18-2014, 09:59 AM
None, unless you go for the very small rainbows like Celebes or furcata. Maybe neon dwarfs. Rainbowfish get BIG and therefore need BIG tanks.

gronlaura
03-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Neon dwarfs may be a smaller rainbow, but they are very active swimmers. Mine use the entire length of my 75 gal (4 ft tank). I don't think they would do well in a corner tank.

Sandz
03-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Celebes Blue Eyes are a good choice for this. You could do an angelfish, a school of 15 Celebes, multiple cory... could even do a second school and many other options... Could do a dwarf cichlid of some kind... The options are open.

rangur1
05-08-2014, 04:32 AM
preocox rainbows r supposed to only grow to 3 inches, or 7.5cm , but i saw one get to 4.5 inch or 11cm. the tank u have is great for angel or discus, you could add a school of red eye or pristella tetrs. nice combo.

Gogi
06-14-2014, 03:47 AM
Melanotaenia Maccullochi Dwarf Rainbow fish only get to 7cm but they need to be kept in a group. I have 5 in a 109 liter tank and that is about the smallest tank I would recommend for them. I have kept them for 2 years. They are only active in the morning when the tank light is off and when feeding they go into a frenzy as I walk up to the tank otherwise they just hangout. The males flash and fight every morning and space is needed for the losers to retreat and feel safe for awhile until he decides to join the group again when the lights come on. They most definitely need a well planted tank.