PDA

View Full Version : good groundcover?

dragonfab32
03-13-2014, 07:12 PM
I need suggestions on a groundcover type plant for my fry tank I planted some dwarf hair grass will this spread and be a groundcover type thing?

KevinVA
03-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Yes, it should throw runners into the substrate and uproot new plantlets throughout the tank. Pygmy Chain Swords are an option, Baby Tears, Glossostigmata, Micro Swords, etc. They all propagate in the same manner. There are other options, but these are the first that come to mind.

talldutchie
03-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Hair grass tends to spread out and not grow dense unless you're running a high energy tank.

Another option for a fry tank is java moss.

dragonfab32
03-14-2014, 01:20 AM
ok i really like the glossostigmata stuff... are they hardy? and can they be found at a local pet store?

KevinVA
03-14-2014, 01:25 AM
You'll more than likely have to order it online at Aquabid or maybe http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com. Here you go: http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/GLOSSOSTIGMA-ELATINOIDES-beautiful-foreground-plant_p_26.html

I've purchased from them several times. Beautiful, healthy plants and they ship very well. I strictly deal with them, unless they don't have what I want now.

As far as hardiness? If your lighting is adequate, they'll be fine. They're a little delicate at first, when you're attempting to plant them in the substrate. Just be careful when you do and you should be fine.

madagascariensis
03-14-2014, 02:32 AM
glosso is a bit of a higher maintenance plant. it isn't super difficult, bit it isn't easy either.
if you want to grow glossostigma, you should have good lights in the proper color spectrum, a fertilizing schedule, CO2.
if not, then maybe java moss?

talldutchie
03-14-2014, 06:58 PM
For cover for small shrimp I've had a lot of success with pogestemon helferi. However...
1. It doesn't do well in sand, much better in gravel
2. You need to restrict your gravel vac urges.

Doing a few steps back. If this is a purely functional affair, as many fry tanks are, why not tie some java moss and fern to some wood and rocks? That way you can even take them out if you need and store in the main tank. It would also allow you to run bare bottom tank if you need. For the top get some amazon frogbit, that stuff devours nitrates which is a good thing in a fry tank and it also offers a sense of security.

dragonfab32
03-17-2014, 03:27 AM
You'll more than likely have to order it online at Aquabid or maybe http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com. Here you go: http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/GLOSSOSTIGMA-ELATINOIDES-beautiful-foreground-plant_p_26.html

I've purchased from them several times. Beautiful, healthy plants and they ship very well. I strictly deal with them, unless they don't have what I want now.

As far as hardiness? If your lighting is adequate, they'll be fine. They're a little delicate at first, when you're attempting to plant them in the substrate. Just be careful when you do and you should be fine.

they dont charge shipping???

dragonfab32
03-17-2014, 03:28 AM
For cover for small shrimp I've had a lot of success with pogestemon helferi. However...
1. It doesn't do well in sand, much better in gravel
2. You need to restrict your gravel vac urges.

Doing a few steps back. If this is a purely functional affair, as many fry tanks are, why not tie some java moss and fern to some wood and rocks? That way you can even take them out if you need and store in the main tank. It would also allow you to run bare bottom tank if you need. For the top get some amazon frogbit, that stuff devours nitrates which is a good thing in a fry tank and it also offers a sense of security.

i like the emphasis u put on the frogbit i may have to look into that stuff:3 or maybe the java moss just cuz everyones recomending it

KevinVA
03-17-2014, 05:31 AM
they dont charge shipping???

Everyone charges shipping.

korith
03-19-2014, 07:57 PM
If you want something that will grow a bit quickly, give dwarf sagittarius a try. I been using it in my tanks with apisto pairs, and a few other tanks. Grows by sending out runners. The dwarf sag I have will get to about 4"-5" in height.

dragonfab32
03-24-2014, 11:12 PM
hm i think ill stick to the frogbit but thanks for suggestions!

dragonfab32
03-24-2014, 11:15 PM
oh not frogbit thats for the top lol ill have to look more into all this info but thanks