PDA

View Full Version : Brackish setup possibilities

Jlorenzo
03-04-2014, 08:55 AM
I have 3 fw tanks for many years but I am new to brackish. I was thinking of silver scats and monos with a school of black mollies. maybe something in the way of a bottom feeder aswell. what tank size and salinity would I need? any thoughts, ideas or comments?

Cliff
03-04-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm not too familiar with those fish, hopefully others here can help with that

My only suggestion would be to get a good quality refactormeter to measure your salinity with. The cheap swing-arm style hydrometers can give you misleading or inaccurate measurements by as much as 0.003. That is a Big difference.

ErikV
05-28-2014, 10:15 PM
My understanding is that Scats and Monos get pretty big and need larger tanks. Up to 12" for Scats and up to 8" for Monos. At that size I would think 55g at a minimum, but the fish would be more comfortable with a larger tank. As far as bottom feeder, a Colombian Shark is a brackish bottom feeder, but again it gets very large and needs a larger tank.

From what I have read, Scats do not do well with live plants, they have a tendency to up root them.

I have never owned any of these fish, but I have been researching brackish tanks recently and this is the info I have gotten from that research.

Compass
05-28-2014, 10:29 PM
I'll agree with Erik. Scats are too big for most tanks. Have you looked into archer fish? Not sure how big they get. As for bottom feeders check out some gobies. Bumblebee gobies and Knight Gobies. You can also look into puffers but know they can get aggressive if not kept properly

ErikV
05-30-2014, 12:49 PM
The more I think about it a 55g might be too small. 55g are 12" wide. A scat could barely turn around in there. 75g or 125g might be more like it.

wayhilc
08-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Hey, what ever happened with idea for brackish set-up? Hope you followed thru with it.

aquariumlover10
08-22-2014, 12:56 PM
My understanding is that Scats and Monos get pretty big and need larger tanks. Up to 12" for Scats and up to 8" for Monos. At that size I would think 55g at a minimum, but the fish would be more comfortable with a larger tank. As far as bottom feeder, a Colombian Shark is a brackish bottom feeder, but again it gets very large and needs a larger tank.

From what I have read, Scats do not do well with live plants, they have a tendency to up root them.

I have never owned any of these fish, but I have been researching brackish tanks recently and this is the info I have gotten from that research.
Columbian sharks need freshwater when young, and then start going in to brakish water but when big need satwater.