PDA

View Full Version : New 30g Tank requires fish. Recommendations?

Jammy
07-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi,

I just got a 30g tank for my 13th Birthday and I have not had fish before. It has been running for three weeks and looks OK but for some algae.

I want some Corydoras, Siamese Fighting Fish and Bristlenose Catfish. I cant find out how many I should have, what else I could also have and what order to put them in and when? I just know that I should not put them all in together.

Please can anyone help me with some advice?

Thanks.

rollie
07-22-2006, 05:17 PM
maybe a plec. a couple of angel fish
there too many good fish, for to name.

i would put them in over a couples of weeks.

do you know , what your ph is.
also what is your ammonia levels. ammonia is deadly to fish

you should known these things, before you put fish in.

Jammy
07-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Ammonia is zero and pH is 7.1(ish).

It has been suggested that I put a single Betta in to start and leave for a couple of weeks. If the water is OK then I can put in a few Danios and again wait for the water to stabilize.

rollie
07-22-2006, 06:57 PM
that sound like a good plan, to me.

but do keep an eye on your ammonia. it may go up.

William
07-22-2006, 07:49 PM
I would just keep bristlenosed catfish ( a few) and stay away from plecos which grows large.

Jammy
07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Not going so well.

In the end we put in a Bristlenose Catfish and 6 Neons - yesterday. 2 Neons died this morning and were replaced by the shop we bought from.
2 more (not sure whether these are the new 2 or part of the original group) died this afternoon. 4 left.

Had the water checked at two separate shops and both said it was not the water. Ammonia was zero and Nitrate/Nitrite levels were low.

Not sure what to do - except wait and see.

Please let me have suggestions if you have any.

William
07-25-2006, 03:31 AM
How did you introduce the fish into your tank.

Jammy
07-25-2006, 07:48 AM
I Intorduced them by leaving the bag untied in the water so the temperature inside the bag warmed up and then after an Hour or so I released them into the Tank with the water inside aswell.

William
07-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Ok. That can be the problem. You allowed them to get used to the temperature but not to the other water parameters of your tank which causes them a lot of stress which can kill very hardy fish.

Try this.
Let the bag float around for 20-25 mins then open it and add 3/4 cup of water from your tank to the water in the bag. wait another 15 min (make sure the bag opening stay above water during this time) than add another 3/4 cup of water. Repeat 4-5 times. Than move the fish to the tank using a fishnet. (it's good to avoid putting the water from the bag into the tank.)

This gradually adjust not only the temperature but also the pH etc in the bag and reduce the stress to the fish.

Jammy
07-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks,

I have added 5 more neon tetras to my tank the way you have said and they have been surviving very well for the past 12hours

Everthing is now fine and today i did my first partial water change.
I am now thinking to put another bristlenose catfish in, Maybe a Femail, Do you know if Bristlenose catfish Breed in Captivity, or Only in the wild?

Thanks for all the help u have given me so Far, You have been a big Help.

Jammy

William
07-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Bristlenosed catfish are easy to breed any often breed in community tanks without any extra effort.

Jammy
07-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Today I have just put in 2 platys, a male and a female.
Seem to be adjusting but this is early days, any recomendations for platys to have, ie: caves, open space ect.
All help is Appreciated
Thx
Jammy

William
07-30-2006, 01:53 AM
Open spaces and plants

Jammy
07-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks , I have them and at the mo they seem fine as the female has just given birth!
What is the likleyhood of them surviving??

Jammy

William
07-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Depends on your decoration. Atleast some should survive if you have a few dense plants.