PDA

View Full Version : betta with pop - eye need a little help

Malyssaasaurus
02-26-2014, 06:54 PM
So a couple weeks ago I noticed my betta had pop - eye. I've been doing small water changes every other day to make sure the water is clean. I admit I had gotten a little lazy and hadn't really kept up on it. I already slapped my hand for my laziness. He was acting totally fine, he just had a bulging eyeball. The past few days I've noticed he's been chilling on the sand. When I look in the aquarium he perks up and flaunts his stuff. But other than that, he just lays on the bottom. His fins aren't clamped or anything. The pop - eye doesn't seem to have gone away. Looks a little smaller though. Water parameters look good. Especially since I've been changing out the water consistently.

He's been eating normal which is like a pig so he's feeling okay in that sense. When he stops eating is when I'll start panicking lol

Is there something else I could be doing? I'm not a huge fan of medicating fish but if that's the only solution I'll do it. It's a 5 gallon planted tank. There's a little teeny tiny Oto in there with him. So if I do need medicine will it affect the plants/oto negatively?

mommy1
02-27-2014, 02:12 AM
If poor water quality is what caused the pop eye then clean water should be all that is needed to clear it up provided infection has not set in. The only thing I would do different is change some water every day not every other day.

Malyssaasaurus
02-27-2014, 04:17 AM
I was nervous about doing daily changes. I was concerned it would throw off the parameters. What if the infection has set in? Is it too late or is there a way to fix it?