PDA

View Full Version : can FW crabs climb nearly vertical rocks to get out of the water?

genocidex
02-25-2014, 03:55 AM
basically since im planning the tank crabs came up as an option if i can prove them to be quite interesting and different. so im planning on using some sort of a shelfing system in a 55g with ample out of tank space, while offering great in tank space as well. like 4 holey rocks, something like lava or texas holey ect. large enough to stick out nearly all the way, and possibly some slate or drift wood as the shelf to allow the space out of the tank. then inside the tank under the shelf will be a bunch of smaller rocks to make plenty of caves for them to set up home. some with flame moss on it, maybe some low light plants like crypts. not 100% sure yet. with these crabs tho we might want some ditther fish that wouldnt matter too much if they get eaten.

so the question stands, will the crabs be able to climb their way out of the water and back into? or will they all just die from not getting in/out?

of it helps the crabs in thought would be vamp, or Halloween crabs, maybe something similar

KevinVA
02-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Yep. They'll climb anything to get air. They can climb straight up your filter tube if need be. Probably not a good idea to rely on that, though.

There's also an option of having an underwater oasis (ie - http://www.amazon.com/Crab-Home-Under-Water-Cove/dp/B00DH2LV4C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZZBBXCGP1WN17XK8GJJ ). Not the most natural addition, but it's an option.

Vertical rocks should be fine... same as driftwood.

sheamurai
02-25-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm sure they are similiar to salty crabs when it comes to climbing - if they can get a toe hold, they can climb it!

genocidex
02-26-2014, 12:06 AM
sweet! im hoping this one is a go, if not im stumped....

KevinVA
02-26-2014, 03:07 AM
You have a pic of this rock that'll be so big that it will reach out the top of a 55gal tank? lol I'm curious. ;P