PDA

View Full Version : Another RAOK! Free Plants...Just Pay Shipping!

MCHRKiller
02-16-2014, 05:21 PM
I have a generous portion of Hygro sp. tiger I would like to move along to a new home. Trimmings will come from my 20G...tank has no algae or pest snails that I am aware of(MTS are not pests in my book). I do EI dosing, CO2 and have medium light. These plants do very well in most conditions and should really help suck up excess nitrates.

Pic of where they come from:
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_2448_zpsa9220a25.jpg

$8 shipped priority with tracking anywhere in US

fishmommie
02-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Jenn - could these plants survive in a cichlid tank? I'd love more plants for my 90 but not sure if my sev would uproot them. He leaves annubis, java fern and hornwort alone but they are not planted in the substrate.
Thanks!

MCHRKiller
02-16-2014, 06:56 PM
They are soft leaved plants so the sev may eat them. It is very hit and miss with severums and plants. Hygro will also grow as a floating species so you may have more luck with it floating than being rooted.

fishmommie
02-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks. I could sure use the help with the nitrates but maybe I'd better pass for now and get some more annubis which I know he will leave alone :o) Also a little afraid of the weather. It seems winter is far from over here so maybe someone closer to you could use them. Really appreciate that you offered them up.

MCHRKiller
02-16-2014, 07:15 PM
You could build a little planter for the back of the tank and "plant" bamboo and/or pothos a few inches into the water...it really sucks up the nitrates and well the fish cant eat it. I am planning to do this for my SO's gold tank...just take some black canvas mesh from the craft section(you can use green or black to camouflage it) and some large suction cups and/or SS wire to fix it to the tank rim. I plan to use lava to hold the bamboo and pothos...would look nice growing out of the tank and work as a great nitrate filter. Some folks also just use a HOB filter with the plants stuck in there.

fishmommie
02-16-2014, 07:34 PM
You could build a little planter for the back of the tank and "plant" bamboo and/or pothos a few inches into the water...it really sucks up the nitrates and well the fish cant eat it. I am planning to do this for my SO's gold tank...just take some black canvas mesh from the craft section(you can use green or black to camouflage it) and some large suction cups and/or SS wire to fix it to the tank rim. I plan to use lava to hold the bamboo and pothos...would look nice growing out of the tank and work as a great nitrate filter. Some folks also just use a HOB filter with the plants stuck in there.

I love this idea - only problem is I have a canopy over the tank ... still, I might have to figure something out. Thanks Jenn. If I pull this off, I'll send pictures :o)