PDA

View Full Version : Not necessarily huge, but big predatory catfish for aquarium hobby?

somay1992
02-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Well, I breed all kinds of different feeder type creatures now.

It started out as me breeding roaches for my fish to eat here and there (I have doviis), but my fish won't eat them, it's so annoying. They barely even eat cut talapia, shrimp, or other cut fish.

So I sell stuff that I breed.
I was thinking about getting a predatory pet, that on the side, I could get to watch it eat great things?

I have several hundred gallon tanks, but I don't want to get something as big as a red tail catfish...
Maybe something that stays around or below 2ft. I've got a custom 600g I have being made INTO the house I'm moving to here in a couple of months.

I don't know many species of catfish, I wish I could just get some snakehead fish, but they're still illegal in the states.

What's out there that has an appetite, it's hardy, and can be bred in tanks (I also like breeding fish sometimes [convicts, oscars, doviis, platy, and some others so far]).

Cliff
02-08-2014, 12:45 PM
How about a Achara Catfish ?

I have no first hand experience with them, but from what I have read, they might be a fish you could consider.

I would love to see some pics of this set-up as it comes together

Crispy
02-12-2014, 05:52 AM
with a 600g tank you could do arowana or stingrays? two of my favorite predators that eat everything I put in my tanks. :)

of course, depends on your state, some states have banned rays.

LionelC
02-12-2014, 05:25 PM
How about a wolf fish? There are several types and varying sizes. I think they are as close to a snakehead as you can get...

LionelC

William
02-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Since you mention snakehead you might want to consider bowfins. Similar in many ways, native to state and often legal.

Another option might be lungfish. Also large, snakelike and predatory.