PDA

View Full Version : simple question.......do i have a male/female pair here?

dishmando
11-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Besides that, how long can i expect before these two breed?......They've been together for about two weeks now. I must say though, they dont look like they like each other too much, as she'll chase him in little spurts throughout the day.......

Environment not correct?.....in a 55G with many others.......not enough time together?......a dominance thing?..... i dunno....... help me out.

Included are some pics........

tropfish
11-06-2007, 11:59 PM
you have two females. Felmales have an orange coloration on their undersides while males dont have that coloration.

dishmando
11-07-2007, 12:05 AM
i see how the smaller one has that slight reddish tone to its belly, so you're saying, that will develop into what the larger one has?......
Because i got it from a seemingly knowledgeable person at the LFS.
Anyhow, if that is the case, i'll go give him shit, then prolly give one of them away to a buddy of mine.

Fishalicious
11-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Yip looks like two females from the pics... can you not exchange one of the females for a male at the LFS?

tropfish
11-07-2007, 12:29 AM
yes. Males don't have ANY orange coloring, which makes convicts pretty easy to sex.

dishmando
11-07-2007, 04:07 AM
thanks for the help gang. just pisses me off that buddy gave me the wrong one.
as for exchanging, ive never approached them for that kinda stuff. Its a big chain store not ur local little fish shop. Maybe they carry the same policies. I'll ask next time i go.
Besides all this, when i eventually do get a male, what difference will i see in their interactions towards each other. Also, what kind of timeframe from initial introduction to breeding should i expect?

days, weeks?.......

thanks for the enlightenment.....:thumb:

Incredulous_Ed
11-07-2007, 04:12 AM
Well, you have two females. You shoudll exchange the less healthy female for a male. Most large chain stores have good policies on returning and exchanging. I would call and ask before you go over there with the fish though.

A male convict has no orange on him and has longer fins. Plus he will be chasing all other fish out of his area, if he's the most dominant male. I had a pair of convicts and immedietly after I introduced the male to the female, they started lip locking and then started cleaning a pit for spawning.

dishmando
11-08-2007, 09:35 PM
thaNKS ed, heheh, good to hear!