PDA

View Full Version : Coffee recomendations?

Surfdog
02-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Keeping in mind I can't stand Charbucks, I'm looking for a new everyday coffee. I currently drink Melita caned coffee, it's not bad but I'm sure I am missing the boat by not trying something new. I have tried Folgers Melita, 8 o'clock, various Guzzo and a few others. All input is most welcome

FrozenTundra
02-03-2014, 08:42 PM
While I can't give any thing specific as I am not a coffee drinker - my cube mates love Dunkin Donuts coffee mixed with 1 part dark roast to 3 parts original blend. Also a lot of those flavored syrups the coffee shops use are also available at most big box stores to liven it up a bit from time to time.

Taurus
02-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Green Mountain Coffee if you're after an affordable designer coffee. Oh, may not be available in your neighborhood. I'm a firm believer that coffee should taste like coffee, not frufru juice. :ezpi_wink1:

Triton
02-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Can't beat god ol fashion foldgers :)

FrozenTundra
02-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Reminds me of the Denis Leary coffee skit -

You can get every other flavor except COFFEE FLAVORED COFFEE! They got mochaccino, they've got chococcino, frapaccino, capaccino, rapaccino, Al Pacino, WHAT THE F***! www(.)whattheF***(.)com!!

Slaphppy7
02-03-2014, 08:54 PM
I hear that Kopi Luwak is pretty tasty...but not sure, I'm a tea drinker

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/k/kopiluwak.htm#.UvABS8s3V8E

And, Amazon has it! http://www.amazon.com/Kopi-Luwak-Coffee-Whole-16-Ounce/dp/B0030IGUIK

FrozenTundra
02-03-2014, 08:56 PM
P.S. Denis Leary skits are not very work friendly - view at your own risk lol

DeboraBremner
02-03-2014, 09:07 PM
If you like a strong full flavoured coffee you might want to try Nabob "Bold" coffee....don't know what I'd do without it!

Slaphppy7
02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
hey Debora, did you check the first link in my answer above?...I think you should give that Kopi Luwak a try...

sheamurai
02-03-2014, 09:15 PM
My work mates swear by Presidents Choice (the dark can). I'm not sure how many of them drink it at home, but everyone at work agrees on this one (we purchase our own for the office brewer, not brought in by a service).

sheamurai
02-03-2014, 09:16 PM
let us know if you end up trying any of the suggestions from here ;)

DeboraBremner
02-03-2014, 09:34 PM
hey Debora, did you check the first link in my answer above?...I think you should give that Kopi Luwak a try...

Funny you should say that Slap...they were talking about the "monkey" coffee on pawn stars last night. I probably would try it....but I sure wouldn't pay the price! :exclaim:

Slaphppy7
02-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Funny you should say that Slap...they were talking about the "monkey" coffee on pawn stars last night. I probably would try it....but I sure wouldn't pay the price! :exclaim:

Really?...what a coincidence, lol

DeboraBremner
02-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Really?...what a coincidence, lol

lol...yup...the old man didn't care and really liked it....and Rick spit it out... "everywhere"

Slaphppy7
02-03-2014, 09:47 PM
lol...yup...the old man didn't care and really liked it....and Rick spit it out... "everywhere"

That sounds like him...I used to like that show, now it seems too "staged" or something...Antiques Roadshow will always be my favorite

Azurescriber
02-03-2014, 09:52 PM
My dad loves Kona coffee- grown right in Hawaii I believe. I'm more of an adulterated coffee person myself...mild brews and lots of cream. :)

Surfdog
02-03-2014, 09:56 PM
I have tried the Jamaican Blue and Hawaiian, I bit pricey to me for every day. I am going to pick up some Nabob and give it a try, that will be a 1st..

Trillianne
02-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Well it depends on what you like for coffee as a roast.

If you like a lighter roast I like Green Mountain's Breakfast Blend, or their Donut House variety.

I find Peet's Coffee and Kauai Coffee blends are rather nice.

If you like a darker roast, the Kirkland Pacific Bold blend is quite nice. (Yes this is a Costco brand, but they do make some damn nice coffee)

If you want the so dark it will char your lungs even after you add cream and sugar the Newmans Bold Blend is indeed that. (Seriously strong flavor)

And if you want the ever elusive yet amazingly smooth barista mixed drink coffee... try finding a stand locally that uses Silver Cup Coffee. (I moved away from a local coffee hut that used this stuff years ago... and I miss it...)

William
02-03-2014, 11:14 PM
What price range do you want to be in?

1Sarah
02-03-2014, 11:26 PM
I have a keurig and love it more than anything... Well anything other than my husband and kids... Most days anyway. My fav k cup variety for everyday drinking is Timothy's Colombian excellencia. I'm sure they must sell it in tins as well.

FrozenTundra
02-03-2014, 11:30 PM
you actually buy kcups? my wife has a Keurig, but uses the my kcup reusable one then she can use any coffee she wants.

Trillianne
02-03-2014, 11:32 PM
I do both!

I also use mine for teas, cocoas and hot cider.

My SO got me the keurig so I could enjoy the coffee one cup at a time, since he doesn't care for it, nor the smell of it. (weirdo!)

sailor
02-03-2014, 11:53 PM
We received a coffee maker that grinds whole beans for each pot brewed and it makes some of the best coffee I have ever drank. We use the Melita dark beans as we both like a bold strong coffee. We have a keurig as well but I still prefer the coffee made from freshly ground beans.

FrozenTundra
02-03-2014, 11:58 PM
You can do fresh ground beans with the Keurig if you use the my kcups as it is reusable

Trillianne
02-04-2014, 12:21 AM
The Ekobrew is another option for reusable/fill yourself K-cup options. That's the one I have. Apparently I see they are putting it out in stainless now... la-tee-dah!

I have tried a number of cocoas in the pre-made cups and they are mostly meh, so I basically use the measured hot water in a cup fairly quickly part of my keurig. Same for teas, although there are a few loose leaf that do ok without long steep times.

1Sarah
02-04-2014, 12:34 AM
you actually buy kcups? my wife has a Keurig, but uses the my kcup reusable one then she can use any coffee she wants.

I buy the big box at Costco, works out to $0.50 a cup, so it's not bad, especially since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. I have a reusable k cup thing too for emergencies when I run out of the good stuff.

steeler58
02-04-2014, 12:36 AM
I don't drink much coffee myself, but my crew drinks it by the gallon, all they care about is that it's strong and black, LOL.

Surfdog
02-04-2014, 01:46 AM
We received a coffee maker that grinds whole beans for each pot brewed and it makes some of the best coffee I have ever drank. We use the Melita dark beans as we both like a bold strong coffee. We have a keurig as well but I still prefer the coffee made from freshly ground beans.

The grind & brew sounds cool. What brand did you folks get? I also use the keurig reusable thingy when a carafe is to much.

sailor
02-04-2014, 02:30 AM
We have the Cuisinart Grind & Brew

MCHRKiller
02-04-2014, 02:54 AM
Im kind of a coffee snob and Caribou is the only brand of coffee I drink these days...it is what Starbucks wants to taste like :22:

I typically drink the Caribou Blend as it is readily available in most shops in Kcups...or you can get a small bag in larger stores. However they have a ton of different blends online...and its not too expensive you can typically get a pound for under $15.

NightFox364
02-04-2014, 03:26 AM
I have to agree with Sarah. With me being the main coffee drinker at home and work I use a kuerig for everthing. Using a commercial account I get the cases of 208 k-cups for $22 so I'm spoiled and don't have much free time to wait for a normal pot to brew. Plus if you walk away no waste and it turns off by itself. Many great choices out there and every cup is freshly brewed at 190degrees. Super Hot!

1Sarah
02-04-2014, 03:28 AM
I have to agree with Sarah. With me being the main coffee drinker at home and work I use a kuerig for everthing. Using a commercial account I get the cases of 208 k-cups for $22 so I'm spoiled and don't have much free time to wait for a normal pot to brew. Plus if you walk away no waste and it turns off by itself. Many great choices out there and every cup is freshly brewed at 190degrees. Super Hot!

I wish I could get that price. I pay $40 for 80 k cups

NightFox364
02-04-2014, 03:32 AM
Not sure if you have access to a "Sysco" they wholesale a lot of food items. I buy bulk for almost everything. Family of six at 33 and growing. Economy puts everything on a tight budget. Coffee and fish are my only get away with kids and a business to run.

1Sarah
02-04-2014, 03:43 AM
Not sure if you have access to a "Sysco" they wholesale a lot of food items. I buy bulk for almost everything. Family of six at 33 and growing. Economy puts everything on a tight budget. Coffee and fish are my only get away with kids and a business to run.

I'm going to look into that. We're a family of 6 here as well (but not growing!!!) Hence the reason we shop at Costco lol.

FrozenTundra
02-04-2014, 03:45 AM
I tried to get a costco membership a few weeks ago after one opened near here but they only take cash, check or Amex - I had enough cash to open a membership but wouldn't have been able to shop and I wasn't going to open another CC... so off to sam's I went down the street where I knew the accepted what I already had. To bad the costco was so much nicer and a larger selection even though the prices were nearly the same.

NightFox364
02-04-2014, 03:46 AM
Just realized you were out of state. They may still ship. I order out of state and they deliver at a pretty low cost. With shipping I pay $31 and have it within 8 days give or take holidays.

1Sarah
02-04-2014, 03:48 AM
Just realized you were out of state. They may still ship. I order out of state and they deliver at a pretty low cost. With shipping I pay $31 and have it within 8 days give or take holidays.

Yeah I'm in Ontario, but I'm sure I've seen Sysco trucks driving around so I just might get lucky :)

NightFox364
02-04-2014, 03:50 AM
Good luck. It is always nice to help others cut cost on the things we use in common.

Trillianne
02-04-2014, 04:38 AM
I tried to get a costco membership a few weeks ago after one opened near here but they only take cash, check or Amex

I believe they also accept debit cards...but yes, they do not take the other CC. They get a better rate by being exclusive. You should be able to shop their walk up food window though still... unless yours doesn't have one, they have pretty tasty eats for really cheap. (Hot Dog and a Bev for $1.50!)

Surfdog
02-04-2014, 06:07 AM

Thanks! Gonna check amazon.

Surfdog
02-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Green Mountain Coffee if you're after an affordable designer coffee. Oh, may not be available in your neighborhood. I'm a firm believer that coffee should taste like coffee, not frufru juice. :ezpi_wink1:

I'm with you on that, if I want vanilla taste, I'll get a milkshake.

Surfdog
02-04-2014, 11:10 AM
What price range do you want to be in?

Not trying to sound ridiculous, I've paid $50 a LB for Jamaican Blue and as little as $5 for a pound of 8 o'clock. I've tried all the k-cups available here but find I prefer loading my refillable keurig gizmo. I've just hit a wall on coffee. My wife drinks kicking horse brand but I find it to close to charbucks. I'm going to pick up some Nabob Bold as Debora mentioned tomorrow and I am going to order one of those grind and brew Sailor mentioned. I too have had some grind & brew but forgot all about that option, sailor is right, it is great coffee. When I opened my can of Melita this morning I found the usual win a trip to Jamaica coupon but the contest entry deadline was august 2013. Made me think....

Surfdog
02-04-2014, 11:13 AM
With that aside. Thank you for all the input. I love how it evolved to k-cups, SAMs , Costco memberships, and everything in between. I expected no less!!!

1Sarah
02-04-2014, 12:16 PM
With that aside. Thank you for all the input. I love how it evolved to k-cups, SAMs , Costco memberships, and everything in between. I expected no less!!!
Lol yeah... Sorry about that!

Rue
02-04-2014, 01:53 PM
I drink Taster's Choice instant at home (yes...I like it)...and prefer Timmies away from home.

Starbucks just tastes burnt to me...no matter how I take it...

MCHRKiller
02-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Agreed, no amounr of frufru juice can cover up the taste of burnt bitter swill.

Surfdog
02-04-2014, 09:00 PM
I drink Taster's Choice instant at home (yes...I like it)...and prefer Timmies away from home.

Starbucks just tastes burnt to me...no matter how I take it...

In a pinch, TC is just fine but it's the only one I like. I think it was Sanka I liked as well but have not seen it in years.

Surfdog
02-04-2014, 11:13 PM

Not trying to be a pain Sailor, is this the unit?

sailor
02-04-2014, 11:39 PM
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/cuisinart-cuisinart-12-cup-coffee-maker-dgb-900bcc-dgb-900bcc/10096702.aspx?path=b323f7b7f3f6a53c677eb3301aed82c 0en02

This one

Surfdog
02-04-2014, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=sailor;[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Found it on amazon same price free shipping. I appreciate the time you took very much.

DeboraBremner
02-05-2014, 12:36 AM
Not trying to sound ridiculous, I've paid $50 a LB for Jamaican Blue and as little as $5 for a pound of 8 o'clock. I've tried all the k-cups available here but find I prefer loading my refillable keurig gizmo. I've just hit a wall on coffee. My wife drinks kicking horse brand but I find it to close to charbucks. I'm going to pick up some Nabob Bold as Debora mentioned tomorrow and I am going to order one of those grind and brew Sailor mentioned. I too have had some grind & brew but forgot all about that option, sailor is right, it is great coffee. When I opened my can of Melita this morning I found the usual win a trip to Jamaica coupon but the contest entry deadline was august 2013. Made me think....

The Nabob Bold we liked the best was "Midnight Eclipse"....good luck!

Surfdog
02-05-2014, 12:41 AM
I am sitting here with a cup off the Nabob Bold (metrosomething) and its a bit lighter than the Kicking Horse the wife likes. I just ordered the Grind and brew sailor recommended I'm looking forward to mixing beans and experimenting until I find the perfect (for me) blend of a fresh cup o' coffee...

sailor
02-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Thanks! Found it on amazon same price free shipping. I appreciate the time you took very much.

Anytime hope you enjoy as much as we do.

sheamurai
02-05-2014, 02:55 AM
My dad grinds his own too, fresh every morning...everyone loves his coffee.
The smell is nice, but he's an early riser and that darn grinder wakes me up...

talldutchie
02-05-2014, 09:10 AM
I tend to grab either the local supermarket's own brand or the dutch Classic "Douwe Egberts"

One of the things I remember vividly from visits to the states is the quality of coffee in the offices.

sailor
03-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Hey Surfdog have you received that coffee maker yet?

Surfdog
03-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Hey Surfdog have you received that coffee maker yet?

Yes I did. Alas, it did not work (box was mauled) and I returned it. Looking forward now to getting the replacement and a decent cup of coffee. I will of course let folks know but I'm very confident it will be great.
There's endless combos on beans, even at my local grocers. I imagine I'm going to enjoy getting that just right mix...

ratsmax
03-07-2014, 12:29 AM
Trader Joe's french roast its got lots of flavor but still isn't bitter, I'm with you on Charbucks!

Surfdog
03-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Last trader joes I saw was in So Cal. I'm in Ottawa Canada now and it's kinda limited on coffee sources. That said, our big grocer (Loblaws) has bins with beans from all over, so do the other big chain stores. Nice thing too is I can buy small amounts as they're in bins. I think first up will be Hawaiian/Jamaican blend. 😳

Surfdog
11-27-2015, 09:10 PM
So it's a year later, went from regular drip to kureg to auto grind and brew machine and ended up with what I consider the absolute best... a French Press. I picked up for $15 at Loblaws supermarket. Same place I got my $14 electric kettle.
It makes absolutely consistent delicious coffee, even when I pick up something different to try. I'm down to two big mugs a day and have switched to a huge variety of teas in the afternoon. If it's tea bags the press works great, loose too I'm sure but I have a tea only ceramic I've been "seasoning" for 6 months used for that.

mommy1
11-28-2015, 01:01 AM
ended up with what I consider the absolute best... a French Press.Amen! One of the things I miss most from the move is the French Press, I should have grabbed it on the way out.

Kitterfly
11-28-2015, 01:15 AM
I just get the cheapest, darkest coffee and drink it straight.

The more brutal. The better. I'm one of those whackjobs that can drink a pot and go straight to bed.

Surfdog
11-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Amen! One of the things I miss most from the move is the French Press, I should have grabbed it on the way out.

If I can get one in Canada aka: tax land for $15, you ought to be able to get one for next to nothing! 😀

Surfdog
11-28-2015, 03:04 PM
I just get the cheapest, darkest coffee and drink it straight.

The more brutal. The better. I'm one of those whackjobs that can drink a pot and go straight to bed.

When I lived in the Florida keys (marathon) I used to start my day with a double Cuban espresso at a Cuban deli near the marina. I miss that very much as I have not been able to find anything up here even close...

mommy1
11-28-2015, 03:32 PM
French Presses are around $10 and up around here. I've just not had time to go out and buy a new one yet.

Surfdog
11-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Just tried the Sumatra dark roast, wow, that has some kick! The wife is partial to kicking horse 454, gave that a try as well in the press, found it to be charbucks like...not for me.

Rue
11-30-2015, 02:21 PM
I can't do Starbucks either....smells wrong...tastes wrong...

Even McDonald's is better (quite fine actually...)...

Surfdog
11-30-2015, 02:41 PM
I can't do Starbucks either....smells wrong...tastes wrong...

Even McDonald's is better (quite fine actually...)...

Chez McDo's is fine if I'm on the road and no Tims around. I wish they had Duncan Donuts up here in Ottawa, that's pretty good too.

mommy1
11-30-2015, 04:11 PM
I drink a lot of coffee and I am a coffee snob, I don't buy cheap coffee, I can't stand the taste. Sumatra is one of my favorites, but I get medium roast. Dark roast always tastes burned to me. My favorite is Kenya AA. I also like Peruvian if I can't find the other two.

Surfdog
11-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Of course you are mommy1 lol... Is this the same stuff you like?

Kitterfly
11-30-2015, 06:27 PM
You people and your fancy coffees.

Privileged I say, PRIVILEGED!

I practically drink mine by taking a scoop of mud from my backyard, heat it up real nice, and toss it into a cup. Survivor style coffee. For poor peoples.

dwarfguy
11-30-2015, 06:33 PM
You people and your fancy coffees.

Privileged I say, PRIVILEGED!

I practically drink mine by taking a scoop of mud from my backyard, heat it up real nice, and toss it into a cup. Survivor style coffee. For poor peoples.
I fly to Columbia to oversee the picking of my beans. From there they are transported via private jet to my personal roasting facility where they make the best dark roast. Not burnt, not too bitter.
Ok. I buy whatever is on sale, so long as it has caffeine.

Kitterfly
11-30-2015, 06:44 PM
I fly to Columbia to oversee the picking of my beans. From there they are transported via private jet to my personal roasting facility where they make the best dark roast. Not burnt, not too bitter.
Ok. I buy whatever is on sale, so long as it has caffeine.

Should've mentioned how you lean over into the picker's ear in order to whisper, "...That's it, nice n' slow like. Gotta cradle them puppies like a newborn."

mommy1
11-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Surf, same coffee, different brand.

Kitterfly, not privileged, just snobby. I go without other things so I can buy better coffee and tea.

Dwarfguy, Try going to Africa to oversee your bean picking. The coffee over there is much smoother tasting and flavorful than the stuff from Columbia.

Kitterfly
11-30-2015, 07:00 PM

Kitterfly, not privileged, just snobby. I go without other things so I can buy better coffee and tea.

Dwarfguy, Try going to Africa to oversee your bean picking. The coffee over there is much smoother tasting and flavorful than the stuff from Columbia.

So you gave up your gold flake chocolate for gold flake coffee? I'm so sorry. That must have been so hard on you.

...(I'm just messing with you)

dwarfguy
11-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Should've mentioned how you lean over into the picker's ear in order to whisper, "...That's it, nice n' slow like. Gotta cradle them puppies like a newborn."
Good point! You can't make a good roast with bruised beans.

dwarfguy
11-30-2015, 08:00 PM

No, I make sure they plant the right varieties to get the flavor I want. Plus that jet doesn't have unlimited range, and you know, those profitable Columbian exports that you can't find in Africa. Have to pay for it all somehow.

Surfdog
12-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Dwarfguy I'm also guessing paying $1 a pound local instead of inflated importers price is nice too, plus the satisfaction of ordering the labor around. ;-)