PDA

View Full Version : My nitrates disappeared over night during cycling need advise

cdizon2
02-01-2014, 10:41 PM
hi everyone,

I am currently cycling a 20 gallon tank with alot alot live plants and shrimp stratum soil. This is my second tank ive cycled. I put my new filter in my established tank for 2 weeks and scraped bacteria from established filter onto new one to grow bacteria before i put the new filter in the new tank.

Ive been cycling my tank for 20 days the last few days my nitIte and nitrAte have been slowly increasing. My Ammonia goes to zero the next day i test the tank. I know when my ammo goes away in one day and nitrIte is zero and when nitrAte spikes my tank is cycled. My MAIN question is my nitrAte did not spike like crazy its all gone today when i tested water. below are my past few days readings.

yesterday ammo 0 / Ite 2 / Ate 30
today ammo 0 / Ite 0 / Ate 0

any advice would be great. My 20 gal long is gonna be a RCS tank, I am super excited to get those guys!!

mommy1
02-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Retest, it is very easy to make mistakes with the nitrate test. Then add some more ammonia and test again tomorrow.

sheamurai
02-01-2014, 10:46 PM
You'll want 0 reading for trites a couple more days in a row, to be sure your cycle is done (3 consecutive days of 0's). As for your trates disappearing, I would imagine your plants have used up what you have. If its been gaining a bit everyday, your plants didn't have a chance to use it all, but now, as you are likely done cycling, your trates have levelled off and your plants are using them up.
It might be something else, but thats my thought.

cdizon2
02-01-2014, 10:57 PM
I retested and the results are the same all 0. I added little bit of ammonia to feed the bacteria for today.

cdizon2
02-03-2014, 03:41 AM
day 2 of 0/0/0 =) I just ordered 10 RCS from shrimpfarm.com heres a pic of my 20 Long shrimp tank

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/cidzon2/20140202_223706.jpg (http://s108.photobucket.com/user/cidzon2/media/20140202_223706.jpg.html)

philthy
02-03-2014, 05:12 AM
Nice looking tank. It actually looks like how I first pictured my 20gal, Instead I decided to use only black gravel. My 20gal is also cycling at the moment.
Planning on stocking cories, khuli's, some otos and some sort of tetra. Thats a huge cherry shrimp tank haha

cdizon2
02-03-2014, 05:29 AM
Nice looking tank. It actually looks like how I first pictured my 20gal, Instead I decided to use only black gravel. My 20gal is also cycling at the moment.
Planning on stocking cories, khuli's, some otos and some sort of tetra. Thats a huge cherry shrimp tank haha

thanks....i have gravel in my 29 gal and using shrimp stratum soil for the shrimp tank and wow my plants in the soil grow so much faster. goodluck on your cycling