PDA

View Full Version : Java Ferns Water Temp?

SueD
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Can java ferns live in cooler water? I am soaking some driftwood in an empty 40B and this is not currently near any outlets. So there is no heater in there but it is near a large sliding glass door for light. House thermostat is usually set around 70.

I just did some plant trimming and I have 6-8 java fern plantlets I hope to attach to this driftwood when everything for this tank is ready. I was just going to let them float around for now in this 40B while the driftwood is soaking. Should they be OK?

DeboraBremner
02-01-2014, 07:20 PM
When I look up ideal conditions for java fern it states 18 - 30C. So it should be fine.

jeffs99dime
02-01-2014, 07:40 PM
You could be okay, but are you going to take them from that tank eventually and plant them in a tank with a higher temperature? If so, the temperature shock could kill them.

SueD
02-01-2014, 10:17 PM
They will be staying in the same tank when I am ready to set it up. But yes, the temp will be higher then - about 77-78. This may be tricky then.

When I set this up I will be tearing down and moving out another tank with fish, and this will be replacing it. I'll have to get the fish out of one and into the other in the same day, within a couple of hours actually. So I won't be able to raise the temp gradually - it will have to be at the level the fish require.

I'll float a few in another tank for now so I won't chance losing all of them. They may not survive in the new setup anyway as there will be 2 silver dollars in there. I'll be also moving an anubias that has done OK with the SD's, and a crinum calamistratum which is also in their current tank. I haven't tried java fern with them yet. I'll be using silk plants to fill it out.