PDA

View Full Version : finally a shrimp tank!

aquariumlover10
02-01-2014, 01:51 PM
YEAH!ok so my mom will finally let me get another tank but it's going to be a small or medium size pet keeper from petco and I'm going to breed ghost shrimp to feed my crawfish oh and i want to put in some local plants or some low light plants and i want to also have some type of filter i have a air pump so it has to work off that any diy sponge filter ideas preferably under $8 bucks? plant ideas? tank mates snails or something maybe? I'm free to ideas and suggestion.

madagascariensis
02-01-2014, 02:27 PM
I'd research breeding ghost shrimp first. As far as I understand, most types of ghost shrimp require brackish water to complete their life cycle, and it's much, much more complicated than just adding a bit of table salt to the water.
If you are really set on feeding your cray with live foods, maybe go find a pond with some scuds (gammarus) in it? Those guys will breed fast and in fresh water.

aquariumlover10
02-01-2014, 02:34 PM
I have breed them before in freshwater the reason people say they need brasckish is they need microscopic food that is only in naturally in brackish tank.

madagascariensis
02-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Oh, that is something new to me. Well, if you already have the procedure down, the congratulations and good luck on the new tank!

FrozenTundra
02-01-2014, 05:02 PM
how many gallons is this new tank you are getting? 5? 10? etc

that would determine the kind of filter you can rummage together.

aquariumlover10
02-01-2014, 06:56 PM
it's 1.75 gallons it's this the medium size it has a hole for airline tubing http://www.petco.com/product/12031/Petco-Pet-Keeper-for-Aquarium-Fish.aspx?CoreCat=LN_FishSupplies_FishTanksAquariu ms#description-tab

aquariumlover10
02-03-2014, 12:37 AM
ok so never mind my mom changed her mind when we were at petco so no shrimp tank but she said I could up grade my tank. at petco I got some aponogeton, onion plant, and water lily bulbs and I'm doing a incubating period thing I saw online it's were you put them in a unsealed zip lock bag with a wet paper towel so you can tell which ones are duds so you don't ruin your tank water.

eltylT
02-03-2014, 12:47 AM
cool good luck and let us know how you make out.

madagascariensis
02-03-2014, 12:55 AM
the incubation only really works with aponogetons, as far as I've heard. just a visual inspection of the bulbs should be
enough to distinguish the living from the dead.

aquariumlover10
02-03-2014, 01:28 AM
ok so how do you tell if there dead or not? the other bulbs are onion plant/crinum thaianum, and water lily/ nymphaea sp. what do I do with these they are in there with the aponogeton/aponogeton ulvaceus.

madagascariensis
02-03-2014, 03:22 AM
with the onion plant it should be pretty obvious. just look for characteristics you'd want in fresh produce(green/white, not limp, leaves, etc)
for the other bulbs, check for any emerging buds as the most obvious sign. otherwise, see whether they appear shriveled or soft. if they are dry (walmart "betta bulbs", etc) , try soaking them for a short time and see if any turn mushy.
or else, post some non-blurry pictures and see what other AC members think.

aquariumlover10
02-03-2014, 02:42 PM
yeah I can't post any my tablet doesn't take pics and my camera is broken so I can't post pics :(. (can anyone post pics of there bulbs or growth pics ? )

aquariumlover10
02-04-2014, 03:04 PM
ok so the 2 onion bulbs and the lily bulb are still floating but the onions have leaves starting to grow.

aquariumlover10
02-05-2014, 01:49 PM
ok so when I woke up this morning I looked at my bulbs and the onions and the lily are still floating but the onions are growing leaves the larger one has roots that I trimmed and 3 leaves it had 2 yesterday but they grew an inch over night and a new leave started comin up and the smaller bulb has two little leaves that grew alitte.

aquariumlover10
02-05-2014, 08:14 PM
ok so the smaller onion bulb sank.

aquariumlover10
02-08-2014, 01:40 AM
ok so the smaller onion bulb died and one of the apongeton bulbs are starting to grow stems.