PDA

View Full Version : Fish, snails and occasional plants

Pages : 1 [2]

pRED
06-24-2014, 02:01 AM
Ok..must know what RAOK means.

Triton
06-24-2014, 02:02 AM
Random act of kindness, have some sort of comp where you give the plants away (person just pays shipping)

KevinVA
06-24-2014, 02:23 AM
I've posted a classifieds thread. Would have done a competition if I had more time. This stuff won't last very long, as I removed it from the tank and placed it in a covered (to keep it humid) bucket w/ water.

pRED
06-24-2014, 02:23 AM
I like that. Prec

Compass
06-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Yea I just started using newspaper, I think it does well and breaks down easy so it comes off neat, I believe the furthest to the right is the red wendtii

Cool! I just got everything planted and I'll post pictures tomorrow. Hopefully.

Sandz
06-24-2014, 05:06 PM
It was more or less meant as sarcastic laughter cause let's face it. There isn't a whole lot of money to be made in this hobby other than just enough to support this hobby. If there was, every one of us would be running our own LFS by now. lol

Ahem... yeah... just wait a few years buddy.

Sandz
06-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Ok so here is my unboxing of Triton's plants!

They came in a nice box wrapped in newspaper.

The bag was inflated to aid in keeping the plants safe!

And here they are! From left to right we have Cryptocoryne lutea, C. parva, and C. wendtii green/red. Not sure at this point which is which. lol

The plants look awesome! Great roots and you really get a lot for your money. Each one of those is 6 to 8 dollars at an LFS! I also like that they are wrapped in newspaper and not rockwool. You pretty much have to destroy the roots to get that stuff off! lol

Chris wasnt selling when he sent me fish he got at an auction for me. His packing of fish is just as good if not better. I still have the boxes set up in case I sell off fry!

fishmommie
06-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Yea!! I got my plants from Triton today! Thanks Chris! They are gorgeous and arrived in great shape - although the PO had done their level best to crush the box :o(.

Holy Cow. The Kleiner bar swords are so huge they could shade my fat cat! They are gorgeous healthy plants (I got 3 pots of them) Tons of leaves and as tall as my 90 is deep. Right now they are floating in the tank because they are so top heavy that the little pots they are in can't stay on the bottom.

I'm going to have to get some fairly nice sized rocks to tie them to because I have no doubt they won't stay anchored in the substrate. I may actually end up having to set the roots in terracotta pots then fill the pots up with rocks to keep the roots on the bottom.
Plan to make a W/C Saturday so I think I'll leave them floating until then as I expect some more rotlia from Kevin by Sat.
anyone see a problem with just letting the monster swords float for 3 days?

Slaphppy7
06-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Nope, they should be just fine floating for now...the nutrients in the water should sustain them for days

Compass
06-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Nah, they'll be just fine! Yay for new plants!!

fishmommie
06-26-2014, 02:53 PM
This is a bad photo because it's daylight and difficult to take one but I wanted to show you the kleiner Bar swords that I bought from Chris. Here they are in the 90. There are actually 3 of them but I only had 2 pots that I could place them in. These things are BEAUTIFUL and the healthiest plants I've ever seen. And as you can see, they are huge! So huge that I could not get them to stay anchored in the substrate. So I've got them in pots with rocks placed around the root balls to hold them down. And I took someone's advice (compass??) and chopped out the bottom of the pots so the roots would have someplace to grow out of.
I'll reposition them when I do a W/C but for now, they don't look too bad! I think the fish are going to love them and I LOVE how they fill out and green up the tank.
Thanks again Chris.

Triton
06-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Those look great! Glad everything made it there healthy

Slaphppy7
06-26-2014, 03:03 PM
They look swell, I'd leave them as they are...wow you were right, they're massive, lol...big trAte busters!

darkmerlin21
06-26-2014, 03:11 PM
They look fantastic! I'm sure the fish will enjoy them!

fishmommie
06-26-2014, 03:22 PM
thanks all.
I really do want reposition the one in the far left corner so it can spread out a little more. Right now it's kind of smooshed up against the side glass and needs more room to spread out. I need to move some rocks to do that though so it will have to wait until a water change.
And so far - none of my big guys are picking at the swords so I'm thinking they're safe!

Thanks again, Chris for providing such healthy, huge plants. I've never seen the Kleiner BS in person before. They're really stunning. The crypts are still free floating in there somewhere but I'll get them planted Saturday when I do the W/C.

Compass
06-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Oh those look beautiful fishmommie! They really do make that tank! :)

fishmommie
06-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Thanks and I agree. they are exactly what the tank needed.

KevinVA
06-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Very nice, Cindy! A 90gal is perfect for a nice, tall sword. =]

Triton
06-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Yea these swords make me want to start another large tank just to have all swords across the back and sand. Just a simple design

I still have 6 of those swords left too

Current stock:
Kleiner Bar Swords
Parva
Lutea
Wendtii Green
Wendtii Red
Dwarf Hairgrass

fishmommie
06-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Yea these swords make me want to start another large tank just to have all swords across the back and sand. Just a simple design

I still have 6 of those swords left too

Current stock:
Kleiner Bar Swords
Parva
Lutea
Wendtii Green
Wendtii Red
Dwarf Hairgrass

Even my hubby stopped by the tank, did a double take and said wow when he saw them.:o)
Chris - that large plant (in the left hand corner) - could I separate that by splitting it down the middle, do you think? It's so large that it can't fan out like the other two - which I planted in the same pot by the way.
Just curious

Also, since the kleiner swords are in pots. not in the substrate, they won't be receiving the nutrients from the fish poo. Will my daily dosing of 4 tsp of Metricide and whatever they get from the water be enough to make them flourish as they are now?

JudiJetson
06-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Those swords look fantastic!!! That is exactly what I would like for the discus tank :D. I may have pm Chris!

Triton
06-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Yea the water should be ok, I'd use root tabs in the pots too

As for splitting it, probably would be ok, just need to be sure it is ok to split, look at the base, if it looks like 2 "siamese" plants (attached) then I think it's ok

fishmommie
06-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Those swords look fantastic!!! That is exactly what I would like for the discus tank :D. I may have pm Chris!

do it. They are amazing!

fishmommie
06-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Yea the water should be ok, I'd use root tabs in the pots too

As for splitting it, probably would be ok, just need to be sure it is ok to split, look at the base, if it looks like 2 "siamese" plants (attached) then I think it's ok

Ah. I've never used root tabs. Guess I'll have to get some.

As to the base - nope. It's one big gargantuan root ball. Maybe I'll just get a bigger pot and wedge a rock into the middle of the base a bit and see if they won't spread out.
thanks again, Chris.

Triton
06-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Current stock:

10 Species #2 Endlers
C. Wendtii Green
C. Wendtii Red
C. Parva
C. Lutea
Kleiner Bar Swords
Corkscrew Vals

May be bringing in the following:
Hygro Pinnafolia
Hygro Kompact
Red Flame Swords
Anubias Nana
Dwarf Bolbitis

Triton
07-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Just placed the order for next week

Stock will be:
10 Species #2 Endlers
C. Wendtii Green
C. Wendtii Red
C. Parva
C. Lutea

Rosette Swords
Red Flame Swords
Kleiner Bar Swords

Anubias Nana
Anubias Barteri

Corkscrew Vals

Triton
07-08-2014, 01:34 AM
New plants are in!

C. Wendtii green
C. Wendtii red
C. Wendtii bronze
C. Lutea
C. Parva

A. Nana - potted
A. Barteri - potted

Red flame sword - 6"
Rosette sword - 3"
Kleiner bar sword - 20"

Corkscrew Vals

Compass
07-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Nice list! Wish I had more room. haha I'm waiting for the meds to clear up in my betta tank so that I can take pictures of the growth from the crypts. I already have runners on the C. parva!!!! It is amazing. Just, everything is neon green right now.

KevinVA
07-08-2014, 01:38 PM
I hear that. I always want new plants... if I could fit more I would.

Triton
07-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Time for u guys to start new tanks :)

Compass
07-08-2014, 01:49 PM
lol. I need to save up for lights on my river tank. Once I get that I'll be knocking on your door.

KevinVA
07-08-2014, 03:12 PM
What light have you decided on?

Compass
07-08-2014, 03:37 PM
The USA satellite LEDs. I need high light for the algae but I don't want T5s because they could heat up the water too much and this is a temperate tank.

KevinVA
07-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Very cool. Should do just fine, man. You've seen Matt's 40gal, right? ;P Just leave the lights on for about 12hrs a day (maybe the blues on for a portion of the night) and you'll have non-stop growth. ;]

Compass
07-08-2014, 03:56 PM
LOL yeah I think I've seen Matt's tank, can't remember it's been a while since he's posted anything :14:

Yeah, gonna run the lights for a good long while plus keep a stock or stones outside in water to supplement in case my algae eaters are too good at their job. Maybe I should just try and keep the tank from getting algae, that seems to be the fastest way to get it. hahahaha

KevinVA
07-08-2014, 04:04 PM
lol, I hear that...

Yeah, I don't know about Matt. That guy rarely makes it here.

Slaphppy7
07-08-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm still here, just have the family issue going that is taking up alot of my time (and energy)

Compass
07-08-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm still here, just have the family issue going that is taking up alot of my time (and energy)

lol Matt, we weren't commenting on your current absence. That is understandable and we'd never make light of this situation. We were talking in general you just never get on and never post stuff. ;)

Triton
07-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Warped tour kicked the heck outta me yesterday... So sore... But it was a great time

aquariumlover10
07-09-2014, 11:52 AM
What's a warped tour?

Triton
07-09-2014, 11:54 AM
it is a punk rock version of woodstock (just less drugs and only 1 day) LOL

but getting to be 2nd row for the following bands all in a row without moving was awesome

Motionless in White
We the Kings (my fiance loves them)
Yellowcard - EPIC show by them
Bowling for Soup - always good
Less than Jake
Of Mice and Men

Compass
07-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Oh nice man!! It is a music festival AL10.

I'm hoping to see Mastodon and Gojira in November. Two bands off my bucket list in one show!! Now if only The Sword was playing with them. Perfect trifecta! (For me at least)

aquariumlover10
07-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Oh ok but i thought of mice and men was a book? I like country BG is my favorite

KevinVA
07-09-2014, 01:40 PM
It is a book. ;P

Wow... Less than Jake is still around? Damn dude, you're making me feel old. It's been something like two decades since my last Warped Tour/Horde Festival outing. ;P

Triton
07-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Lol, yea they said they are the longest running band on warped

rebecca_finny
07-09-2014, 03:20 PM
I was at warped tour in 2011. :)

Sandz
07-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Dude I just got done hanging out with the guys from Less Than Jake 2mo ago. They are from Gainesville here in Fl and I grew up going to their shows. Awesome dudes!

Gainesville Rock-city baby!

Triton
07-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Yellowcard was sweet, same with of Mice and men.. that was an intense pit lol

But I just had a ton of work dumped on me for work.. fml

Sandz
07-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Well have fun nursing the bang-over sir.

Triton
07-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Finally feeling human again... but going through punk rock withdrawals after two concerts in 6 days...

Triton
07-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Time to get back into the swing of things, now that I'm recovered and all

Fish:
10 Species #2 Endlers
Chili Endlers
Cory Sterbai

Plants
Crypt Wendtii Red
Crypt Wendtii Green
Crypt Wendtii Bronze
Crypt Parva
Crypt Lutea

Anubias Nana
Anubias Barteri

Dwarf Hairgrass

Red Flame Sword
Rosette Sword
Kleiner Bar Sword

Triton
07-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Photos of the new plants

Anubias Barteri
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s570/christopher_hardy2/AnubiasBarteri_zpsaffbcd2d.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/christopher_hardy2/media/AnubiasBarteri_zpsaffbcd2d.jpg.html)

Anubias Nana
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s570/christopher_hardy2/AnubiasNana_zps4538d2ef.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/christopher_hardy2/media/AnubiasNana_zps4538d2ef.jpg.html)

Crypt Wendtii Bronze
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s570/christopher_hardy2/CryptWendtiiBronze_zpsb34d2ef2.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/christopher_hardy2/media/CryptWendtiiBronze_zpsb34d2ef2.jpg.html)

Red Flame Sword
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s570/christopher_hardy2/RedFlameSword_zps54c7021e.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/christopher_hardy2/media/RedFlameSword_zps54c7021e.jpg.html)

Stringer1818
07-13-2017, 04:08 AM
u still have Sterbai Cory? where do u ship from

Boundava
07-13-2017, 02:15 PM
He does have a Facebook page as well as a website. I don't believe he sells livestock any longer (fish, snails, shrimp, plants) but you can check the other sites. This thread hasn't been active for about 3 years.