PDA

View Full Version : 6 weeks still not cycled

Lordkontie
07-21-2006, 01:34 AM
I have a fairy new fish tank (going on 6 weeks now). I read from the material that came with the tank that I could add fish after a week. I have 8 danios (4 leopard 4 blue long fin) and 6 clown loach in a 55g tank.
I have a master test kit that I use every other day and all i get is more and more increasing ammonia levle no nitrites or nitrates. For the first few weeks I did 20% water changes twice a week while vacuuming the gravel at the same time and the last 2 days I did 2 50% water changes because my ammonia is dangerously high. Also I put a dose of AMMO lock on the 2nd and 4th week.
My danios seem to be ok, but my clown loaches have been held up in this fake piece of coral that i got for them to hide in. I don't think water can flow through it. I hardly ever see them and im afraid they are polluteing the water inside this piece of decor and I can't see if they are showing any signs of sickness and recently after the 2 50% water changes a few of them are swimming up and down the corner of the tank constantly.
Ive also been treating the water with conditioner and I have a 3oz pouch of biospria on the way to help with the cycle faster so my fish dont die.
Besides adding the fish to early is there anything I've done wrong or is there anything else i can do to help my fish get through the rest of the cycle I'm realy worried that they are going to die. I've been on the internet non-stop trying to find a remedie or a reason that my cycle is takeing so long I just can't find anything to help me on this
-Thanks

William
07-21-2006, 02:29 AM
does the tank contain plants?
how often do you feed?
how often and how do you clean your filter?

Lordkontie
07-21-2006, 02:51 AM
I dont have any plants yet and I feed them twice a day. As for cleaning the filter I've only done it once. The instructions that came with it just said to change the cartrige once a month which I've done recently. Am I suposed to empty the water out and scrub it?

NorthernBoy
07-21-2006, 05:12 AM
leave the filter in and dont rinse it till tank cycles. you are washing away all the good bacteria.

William
07-21-2006, 04:13 PM
And don't change your cartridge that often. I know that many stores tell you to change it every month but that is really not necessary in a working aquarium. (in fact it is bad since the new cartridge lacks bacteria and prevent your filter from working as it should.)

I would also recommend that you only feed once every day or perhaps even once every other day (better) untill the tank cycles.

Lordkontie
07-21-2006, 07:54 PM
I checked my ammonia level this morning and went down a bit from the water changes. Im gona go and feed them every other day now and not touch the filter.
Thanks for the advice its very apriciated :)

William
07-22-2006, 12:29 AM
glad to help.

keep us updated.

NorthernBoy
07-22-2006, 06:28 AM
np we are here to help.