PDA

View Full Version : Territorial Bristlenose!

Fritrz
01-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Can male bristlenose plecos be territorial with the other fish?

pRED
01-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Yes. We need our space!

KevinVA
01-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Yep, they can. Check out a couple of mine going at it:

bQ1V08-WuKA

They won't kill each other, but they'll strut their stuff every now and again. My bigger one (not pictured) will swat the others out of the way during feeding time. They're not aggressive fish by any means, but all fish are territorial to a degree.

DeboraBremner
01-24-2014, 12:17 AM

bQ1V08-WuKA

They won't kill each other, but they'll strut their stuff every now and again. My bigger one (not pictured) will swat the others out of the way during feeding time. They're not aggressive fish by any means, but all fish are territorial to a degree.

Is there awards for great videos?? The vid is great....and the music!!!!!!!!!!

KevinVA
01-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Thanks Deb! That was a really lucky find, when I was just strolling by the aquarium. I just saw them going at it - they were actually going for probably another few minutes before that, before I decided to get the camera. Haha

Triton
01-24-2014, 01:38 AM
The red is a male? My male is a ton bigger than the females and has much larger whiskers

KevinVA
01-24-2014, 02:46 AM
He's the smaller male, yes. My big male is a standard and has larger whiskers. He only comes out at night, though. The red male is much smaller, so I figure he's either younger or just couldn't compete with the other guy. He's now developing whiskers, though, so I think he's going to get bigger pretty soon.

Triton
01-24-2014, 03:17 AM
Ah ok, yea my big boy only comes out for fresh zucchini or when he is chasing someone from his driftwood stump

ratsmax
03-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Heh heh when my sterbais are gathered around eating a algae wafer and my albino bristelnose pleco decides he wants it, its his...

talldutchie
03-03-2014, 03:46 PM

bQ1V08-WuKA

Excellent video!

This is a ton more aggression than mine have ever displayed. With mine it's one days and the smaller one leaves. Doesn't this do any damage?

KevinVA
03-03-2014, 04:00 PM
I haven't seen any damage to speak of. This behavior is pretty rare. I've seen it maybe twice in the many months I've had them, so I was pretty lucky to get this video.