PDA

View Full Version : Cycling !

Azear
11-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Cheer !!! looks like my cycle is finish in my 50Gal ! WooHoo !

Readings today (did a huge water change 2 days ago and didn't had time to check the water params until today...) were quite surprising... I actually redid the tests 3 times to make sure I was not misdoing something lol...

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

I was sooo stunted... at first, I tought I had lost all my nitrites and nitrates and keeps a little bit of ammonia (was a very light yellow-green) but after comparing with chart... Nitrite at 0 and Nitrates at 5ppm was awesome... and Guess my little guys are not messing up the tank too much cauz in 2 days, I didn't had any Nitrates in the end so... might it be because Algue consumed mostly all the Nitrates left (read that nitrates were food for algue) ???

Still, this is pretty awesome ! Guess that the Stress Zyme have worked... :P

NickJennings
11-06-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm glad to hear that you think it was the Stress Zyme that did the trick for you because that is what I'm using to cycle my tank at the moment.

So are you going to add some more fish soon then?

Azear
11-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Well, so far, there's already a gang in there... (5 Guppy, 1 Ancistrus Bushynose, 2 Dojo Loach, 4 Tetra Rosy, 5 Cochu's Blue Tetra, 4 Neon Tetra, 6 Tetra Red flame, 1 Apple Snail) but I was planning to add more tetra (maybee glowlite, some penguin, some more neon and more rosy...) and get rid of the Cochu's Blue tetra (cauz they seems agro against other tetra...)

and FYI, I don't think that Only stress zyme did the trick but... the combo I made did it... let me explain... First, get 2 feeder goldfish, a decent volume of Ammonia-rid for aquaclear filters (the one in bag... I had to take a package size for a AC70 to fit my tank) and drop it near the filter intake (rinse before dropping in water tho...) so, day 1, normal shot of Cycle (I know it's not suposed to work but only had that on the hand) and some Nutrafin waste control (normal dose too)... after, on day 7, 1/2 normal dose of stress zyme, 1/2 normal dose of cycle and 1/2 dose of waste control... on day 14, 3/4 normal dose of Stress Zyme only... On day 21, Remove the goldfish and put something much less ammonia-generating (like small tetra or guppy) (At this moment, the Ammonia should be very low and nitrite should have spiked yet and the nitrates should be (as always) out of control... this is why Water change is important). Also, on day 21, remove the Ammonia-rid bag from the water and put it in an HOB filter... on day 25, the Ammonia-rid bag has been removed and on day 28, my tank was cycled and the Ammonia,nitrites and nitrates were under control... I haven't lost any fishes durring the cycle (hence, I was using feeder goldfish so I didn't minded too much) and when the tetra were introduced, I've feeded them as normal and everything seems to be fine. (Note that the Cochu's Blue Tetra I lost was not because of the cycling but because he jumped out of the pot when I isolated him... so... basicly, it's a cycle that didn't costed any fishes :D so... Cheers !

P.S. I know the method is not regular but it worked pretty well. :14: