PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else keep Tatias?

Neptune
01-19-2005, 08:19 PM
I have 4 of these little cats, and I love them. Mine are Tatia Perugiae (honeycombs).Each one has it's own little cave, and they only come out at feeding time and during the night. When they do come out though, they are very active. One interesting thing about them is that they are primarily surface feeders. They are quite small, but they have big mouths for their size and can swallow very small fish (I found this out the hard way). They seem to be uncommon - I got mine online, and had never seen them in any local stores. I saw one at an lfs last night, but it seemed sick so I didn't buy it. It was the only one in the tank.

Does anyone else have these fish, or have experience with them? Any breeding reports? I might try to breed mine at some point, so any tips would be great.

William
02-04-2005, 11:30 PM
It’s an adorable fish which I unfortunately never have had the pleasure of keeping myself. However there is a good description of the species over at http://www.scotcat.com .

Neptune
02-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Not many people seem to keep them, I guess they are a bit rare. I like them for their uniqueness. They may not be as active as say....cories, but they are quite interesting nonetheless.

Anonymous
02-10-2005, 09:06 PM
yeah, but again cories can be like squirrels on speed. I actually prefer the somewhat calmer species. :D

William
02-10-2005, 09:13 PM
That was me :oops:

Neptune
02-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Something else I have come to realize about these fish - they will eat until they almost explode (they really do get fat very quickly), and then fast for a few days. Of course it also seems to depend on which food is being fed at the time.

Example - two days ago they gorged themselves on frozen brine shrimp. Tonight, I fed freeze-dried daphnia which they normally devour, and they never came out to eat.

Example two - one day I fed them flake food (and their bellies were quite swollen afterwards), two days later I fed frozen bloodworms. They gorged themselves on the bloodworms.

Example three - they ate frozen bloodworns until they were stuffed, and two days later I waved around a pinch of bloodworns in my fingers - my halfbeaks ate, but the Tatias never showed.

Example four - the honeycombs got a feast of freez-dried daphnia and Hikari micro pellets (the tetra's food). Two days later I fed frozen brine shrimp, and they never came out of hiding to eat.

Just some interesting observations I thought I'd share about these unique fish :)

William
02-18-2005, 11:25 AM
lol

soul
10-30-2005, 10:21 PM
we had two before, they died a few months ago, so we got 2 other catfishes, although these ones are just cheap ones...