PDA

View Full Version : Strange tar like algae?

dishsnthings
01-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Hi all. I suddenly developed a weird problem in my heavily planted tank. It is appearing on only this plant and only one little ornament. I had thought it was black, but it is in fact brown, and wont come off fully. I cleaned the leaves and there was a scad of brown on my fingers but the majority remains.
Three things are incidental to this in the space of a week: I just got the Edge LED lighting system AND at the same time I removed my algae scrubber AND I started using Flourish and Flourish Excel (LFS recommend). I believe part of my problem is way too much light. I was at 2 hours reg daylight/4 hours full sun daylight/9 hours reg daylight/4 hours moonlight. I reprogrammed the light tonight to 2/2/6/4. Still too much?
Next, when I got my light, I had read that the algae scrubber would fight the plants for nutrients, so I removed it to another plant-less tank. Should I put it back or make another one? It really wasn't working to potential in my planted tank. Now in another tank it is working like a charm.
Lastly could I have overdosed on the Flourish? I followed the bottle, for initial doses, and subsequent dosing (I've been doing daily rather than every other). I really haven't noticed much difference using the stuff other than EVERYTHING is sprouting roots from the oddest places!
Here are two pics, hope you can see the 'stuff'. BTW if anyone can ID this plant I would be grateful, I do love it so!

Cliff
01-19-2014, 02:33 PM
I just got the Edge LED lighting system AND at the same time I removed my algae scrubber AND I started using Flourish and Flourish Excel (LFS recommend). I believe part of my problem is way too much light. I was at 2 hours reg daylight/4 hours full sun daylight/9 hours reg daylight/4 hours moonlight. I reprogrammed the light tonight to 2/2/6/4. Still too much?

I can't really offer a option about the LED settings without know the color temp and angles of the lenses. How much total wattage does your LEDs put out and what size of tank do you have ?

Are you using CO2 on this set-up ?

jeffs99dime
01-19-2014, 02:34 PM
When did you start this tank? Did you buy that plant at Pet Smart by chance?

dishsnthings
01-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Thank you for any tips! its a 55 gallon. Here is the chart for the lamp. I forgot to mention that I took these plants out, cleaned them (best I could) and placed them in my other low light tank with the algae scrubber. Guess I will see if there's a difference. Also, I am not using a real CO2 unit. The LFS said the Flourish's would help with that. And he's the owner !?!?

dishsnthings
01-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Started the 55 planted back in August. I had my 20 gallon previously and seeded the 55 gal with an entire Aqueon biofilter and full pad on top of the new Fluval canister. I took the seed pad and cut it apart into two, threw the used up carbon out. Then I put 1/2 back and stuffed the Fluval with the other half. I also split the decorations and gravel into the new tank (left half in the old tank, half in new tank), cycled like a dream come true! My water has always been pristine, I love the dual filter setup!
No these were not for Petsmart, but not far off. Petco LOL. That's all we have here. These were among my very first plants, very strudy and just love how they sway in the water.

Cliff
01-19-2014, 08:38 PM
Aquatic life doesn't list that model number of LED light fixtures on there website, but considering that 42% of the light produced by this fixture is in the blue color spectrum, I would guess the over all color spectrum is more intended for a marine set-up rather than fresh water. The bluer color spectrum will certainly help your algae to grow as fresh water algaes just love the blue(ish) color spectrum.

dishsnthings
01-20-2014, 04:54 AM
Thank you so much, that makes perfect sense. I was curious about algae on on a few items, sounds to me now like it was the tip of a BIG iceberg! I did reprogram as I said the other night, but I'm still on 4 hours moonlight (all blue). Tomorrow I shall adjust that downwards.
BTW here is their web page, not an awful lot of info. Hope thats not a bad sign.....
http://www.aquaticlife.com/products/97529

jeffs99dime
01-20-2014, 05:56 PM
The plant in the first pic looks like a Green Mondo Grass plant. It is not an aquatic plant if so. It is a terrestrial plant.