PDA

View Full Version : Discus 90 gallon freshwater refugium

jeff8428
11-06-2007, 04:01 AM
I am setting up a new 90 gallon tank for my discus. I want to use a 30 gallon refugium for the filter system. I have a 55 gallon refugium as the filter on my 155 gallon tank that work like a dream. The main thing I am worried about is the flow. In my large tank I have a lot of flow 1200 gph pump and 3 powerheads. The fish (silverdollars, cichlids) like the fast moving water. I know the discus will not so I will have to go with a much slower flow. Will this affect the filtering. Anyone else use freshwater refugium on a discus tank? I am just wondering if it will work, the flow seems to keep everything off of the bottom and into the overflow filters which works great. Any ideas. Appreciate your input

Chris88
08-26-2009, 05:51 AM
i am interested in setting up a freshwater refugium and was wondering if u can help a guy out on pump sizes to use

SpyderSpy6
08-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Don't think I can help much, as I use a regular canister filter on my tank. What I can tell you as that I wouldn't worry too much about the flow, just because I have a 175 gallon rated filter running full blast on a 75 gallon tank. I do have an inline UV and CO2 system that slows it down a little bit, but not much, and my fish do just great. I would make sure that the filter set up is going to adequately clean the water and then do a test run with the discus fish. If you are nervous about the flow rate, go with something you can adjust that way if it is too fast you can slow it down. Don't know if that will help, but it's just my thoughts. Goodluck