PDA

View Full Version : Coco worm placement?

Strider199
01-16-2014, 09:41 PM
So I just purchased a coco worm and I'm wondering where to place it in the 55 gallon. Right now it is in a low flow area on the sand at the end of the tank. I have read so many different placement spots so I am wondering which area of the tank works well for those who have one.
Also while on the topic, what food works best with this filter feeder?

Slaphppy7
01-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Alright, I'm off to Google "coco worm", lol

Cliff
01-16-2014, 10:43 PM
The guy who owns our SW LFS has kept a few in his display tanks. He keeps them in a low flow spot and gives them a occasional spot feeding of phytoplankton.

I don't have any first hand experience with them

Strider199
01-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the reply and info. The majority of what I've read says the same.
I'm hoping the placement works, the coco worm was pricey.

Fishkeeper
01-17-2014, 02:45 AM
They eat extremely tiny stuff. Cyclop-eeze, placed just upstream of them with a turkey baster, should work for slightly larger ones, and I'd guess that phytoplankton is good for smaller ones. Don't squirt it at them, that scares them, just squirt it out upstream and let it drift onto them.They need a bit of flow, otherwise they can't really feed, but they'll hide in their tubes all the time if you keep them in too much flow. I'd say make sure that the water is moving just slightly, and occasionally give it a little bit more food. If it leaves its tube, it's either really stressed by something or trying to get to a new place, it'll build a new tube.
.....Coco worms are filter-feeder fanworm critters,right?

Cliff
01-17-2014, 03:13 AM
.....Coco worms are filter-feeder fanworm critters,right?

More or less, yes, they are: http://www.saltcorner.com/Articles/Showarticle.php?articleID=53

Based on the rest of your post you gave the impression you knew that

Fishkeeper
01-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Good. I was pretty sure of what they were, but I had a sneaking suspicion that maybe I'd gotten confused.
Wow, they get big! Definitely try cyclop-eeze, maybe even mysis shrimp if it's a big one.

Cliff
01-17-2014, 12:34 PM
I would disagree with the above statement

It typically not a good idea to feed filter feeders, chucks of food. Filter feeders will take food particles out of the water. The below is a quote from the link I posted above:

In addition, as they grow they tend to prefer different particle sizes. Very young, small worms have very small crowns/radioles/grooves and therefore prefer to capture and eat very small particles, like bacteria and single-celled phytoplankton. Conversely, big adult worms have bigger crowns/radioles/grooves and may feed exclusively on much, much larger multi-cellular zooplankton (still pretty small stuff, really).

Strider199
01-18-2014, 01:08 AM
That is a great article on tube worms Cliff, thanks alot. I did buy phytoplankton today which I will feed tomorrow after I come back from Ripley's. My Birthday present from my wife.
I would have thought the coco worm would feed from the upper side but that article states they filter food from beneath, good to know.
Thank you both for the assistance.

Cliff
01-18-2014, 01:12 AM
Your going to love Repley's

Don't forget to take a good look at the filter set-up near the end of the main tour. Those two story skimmers are a sight to be seen

Take (and post) some pics

Strider199
01-18-2014, 01:22 AM
The camera is charging Cliff. I'll make sure to check out that equipment, show my wife that I didn't go over board buying mine. hehehe.