PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Water Lettuce

WhistlingBadger
01-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Hi, kids. A couple questions for anyone with experience with/knowledge about this plant. The biggest is, what are its light requirements? Can it grow under normal room light? I am thinking about adding it to the open part of my tank, where it would pick up little or no light from my cf's.

How does it hold up to nibblers? I have a gourami who likes to graze (and has just about wiped out my ambulia), and I eventually might put some water lettuce in with my goldfish, if it can stand up them.

Anything else I need to know? I really want to get some of this to provide better habitat and suck up some excess nitrates, but want to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks!

Tom

WhistlingBadger
01-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Also, I have the same questions about regular (not dwarf) water lettuce. Gracias!

T

vegas2k
05-25-2020, 03:03 AM
Hello, adding to this thread since it's pertinent to my situation, even though it never got an answer it looks like lol...I have a shrimp tank, that I decided to get some floating plants for to help control nitrates. I started with a water lettuce plant. At the time, the water level was really low. probably about 8 inches from the top of the aquarium. It was an open top aquarium, and evaporation was just crazy, and I haven't touched it for a while. Anyhow, I introduced the water lettuce and it did well. growing long roots, nice healthy color. Then I decided to give the aquarium a cover, and fill it to near the top. I noticed the lettuce started to fold down and get yellowish/brown on the tips. Looks like it's not doing well. I am wondering, if the fluorescent lights, now that they are really close, could they be burning the leaves? I have since taken the lettuce out and put it in a plastic container with a LED light. I actually gave it this one that I had laying around that I used for seedlings before :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ1Y69G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So my questions are, was I hurting the plant by raising it to a few inches of the fluorescent light?

Is the placement of the LED lamp above the lettuce a good idea? If so, how many hours should I have it run over the lettuce? I would place it outside in a bucket of water to grow with natural light and propogate, but our nights are still cool, and I don't want to subject it to that until it warms up more here.

Thanks!!

vegas2k
05-25-2020, 05:00 AM
I just decided to raise the lighting up about 6 inches, should be less harsh then I think?