PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions About Kuhlis

fishheadjim
01-14-2014, 03:27 AM
Is Eco Complete (http://www.petco.com/product/111998/Eco-Complete-Planted-Black-Aquarium-Substrate.aspx) too course for their bodies? I don't want to scratch them up and I know that they like to burrow.

How important are pH and acidity when it comes to this species? I've heard varying reports that consistency in readings is more important than having the suggested range. Same question goes for water hardness.

Would they fare well in a tall tank?

Any tips about Kuhlis would be welcome. I am working on a 15 gallon tall planted tank, but if it isn't a good match for the kuhlis I will wait and put them in a larger tank.

Trillianne
01-14-2014, 06:20 AM
My experience is that stable water conditions and they do well. My ph is on the higher end of freshwater ranges (7.6-7.8).

I do have Eco Complete and gravel mix and have not noticed any ill effects. I have them in a 65 which is ~25inches deep, and I suspect the 15 you have is shorter than that.

eicg
03-15-2014, 09:52 PM
I think the Eco Complete gravel would work and for the p.h. i also believe that if you keep the p.h stable they will do well as that's what i do with my tank.

Soot
03-15-2014, 10:09 PM
I have kept them for a couple of years now and they have been my hardiest resident, 5 of them (out of 6) surviving even an initial cycling error over 2 years ago. Can't help with the substrate, but my Ph is 8.2, stable. Very hard water (liquid rock as I live at the foot of the rolling chalk hills of the English countryside). They are my favourite resident and I bumped up my numbers last year ... AND even had an in-tank birth this year (very unexpected and exciting!).

Sorry probably not helpful but I am a fan.