PDA

View Full Version : How many algae tabs for a 3.5" BN pleco?

GobleWarming
01-12-2014, 12:13 AM
I have a BNP and three otos in my tank with a bolivian ram, a male swordtail, and 9 pristella tetras. We do flake and pellet food every other day. The tank used to be covered in algae ( along the back wall and some on plants), we did an algae tab only occasionally, and the otos grazed and were seemingly happy. Since adding the BNP the algae is almost all gone and we put in an algae wafer every other day and some veggie wnce a week. Is that enough food? The tank keeps getting cleaner and cleaner is the reason I am asking. I am happy that the pleco has been foraging so well, but don't want to deprive him now that there is less to forage!

DeboraBremner
01-12-2014, 12:40 AM
BNP's are amazing algae eaters!! I would only put in an algae wafer every 2 or 3 days because I found my BN enjoyed all foods. Especially the sinking pellets....he would home in on those relentlessly! But with the otos...possibly daily. I'm sure someone with knowledge of otos will will have a better idea of what they may need.

talldutchie
01-12-2014, 07:16 AM
With this stock I'd start to feed more. These grazers need a pretty constant supply of food otherwise they get into trouble.

GobleWarming
01-12-2014, 02:30 PM
These grazers need a pretty constant supply of food otherwise they get into trouble.

Do the tetras and ram need more readily available food too? I notice the swordtail picks at the driftwood algae sometimes... I put in two wafers last night and there are still remnants of both. So maybe 2 more tomorrow? That way there are two feed sites and the otos aren't crowded out by the big guy.

BNP's are amazing algae eaters!! I would only put in an algae wafer every 2 or 3 days because I found my BN enjoyed all foods. Especially the sinking pellets....he would home in on those relentlessly! .

Good to know! I haven't seen mine go after any of the sinking pellets ( they are small round ones that can float or sink ), but he is still pretty shy. He may be going after them after lights out.

Thanks, y'all!