PDA

View Full Version : I think/hope I'm nearing the end

Simplicity
01-11-2014, 10:41 PM
I think when I went from gravel to sand at the end of my cycling process I messed up the cycle and started over. I had a biological bloom right after that took awhile to control. I think I overfeed. They always look like they're searching for food! lol On the 6th I was finally able to find the liquid test kit and began recording those results and doing daily 30% or more water changes. I have fish in which i worry and stress to no end over. My readings have been:'

1/6
ph 7.2 Ammonia 1.0 nitrIte 0 nitrAte 0
1/7
PH 7.6 Ammonia 1 nitrite 0 nitrate 0
1/8
PH 7.6 ammonia 1.0 nitrite .50 nitrate 0 / water change ph 7.6 ammonia .50 nitrite 0 nitrate 0
1/9
Ph 7.6 ammonia .50 nitrite 5.0 or 1.0 nitrate 5.0/ water change ammonia .25 nitrite .25 nitrate (missing i don't know why i didn't write it down)
1/10
ammonia .25nitrite .50 nitrate 5.0
1/11
ammonia .25 nitrite .50 nitrate 10/ water change 50% ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0

I use prime when I do water changes. Is there anything else I need to be doing or looking for?

mommy1
01-11-2014, 11:53 PM
It does look like the cycle is almost complete. It is the test results before the water change that count. Since there is .25ppm ammonia and .50 nitrite before the water change you aren't quite done yet. Keep up the water changes and testing, almost there.

Simplicity
01-15-2014, 03:13 AM
so for the past 3 days my ammonia has been sticking to .25. my nitrite 0 and my nitrates at 5.0. i test the water twice a day and there's been no change. am i stuck or is this normal?

mommy1
01-15-2014, 05:23 AM
This is a cycle with fish, it will take some time. Using fish, it can take 6-8 weeks and you have only been cycling the tank 8 days. The bacteria is growing, but because of all the water changes you must do it will take longer before the cycle is complete.

Simplicity
01-15-2014, 05:41 AM
I have actually been working on cycling since about the 16th of dec. I thought i was nearing the end ( i know.. i feel pretty dumb having thought that so soon lol) but was using strips and changed the substrate from gravel to sand midway which gave me a bacterial bloom i think and messed up the cycle. From looking back at old tests my first nitrates showed up on the 28th of dec but that was before i was able to find a liquid kit. No rush just excited by the chemistry and it's kind of like christmas when things are changing. I think i want to be told its almost over just to settle my nerves. lol I am constantly checking water and changing to make sure nobody suffers from my being so green to the hobby. So thankful for the info and feedback from this community <3