PDA

View Full Version : Albino Tiger Oscar

Bassfan
11-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Well I just wanted to let everyone know that my new little friend is eating out and about in the tank and very friendly towards everyone that walks by the tank :-D. Just a question though, first off whats signs of a good fish like health and stuff? Oscar looks to be healthy, his appetite for food is unreal.

harvey
11-06-2007, 01:12 AM
I have found that my oscars have an enormous appetite, but alot of the pellets go through their gills and I end up suctioning them out with the water changes. Insects don't seem to be as bad. Good luck with your new friend.

cocoa_pleco
11-06-2007, 04:54 AM
good health is hes disease free and alert.

mine does that too with pellets, he chews it and chunks fly out of his gills. crickets seem to not splatter as much.

to keep him healthy, feed a variety of food. i feed algae wafers, hikari pellets, spirulina cubes. supersoft pellets, tropical flakes, and so on

Bassfan
11-06-2007, 08:05 PM
its like every time i walk by the tank he always goes to the top looking for food. He is really cool though. I think he recognizes me already. I feed him twice a day, with flake food.

cocoa_pleco
11-06-2007, 10:55 PM
they definitely recognize their owners. mine flips out when i come by, and i end up feeding him because of it. the convict and pacu have learned to dance for food too from the oscar

Bassfan
11-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey guys, i thought i'd let you know something. My oscars i guess tail fin is a little odd. I'm not saying its fin rot but its very light at the edges of the fin, and maybe a few missing but it could be from when he was in the tank with the others. Ill try to get a picture. It doesnt appear to be getting any worse since i got him friday. But just to be safe, should I get him some antibiotic just in case? I cant really tell if he has it or not and hes the only fish so it would be the entire tank im treating. Whats a good antibiotic for him?

2manyfish
11-08-2007, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't use any medications at this point. If his fins have some splits or are a little ragged a good water change or two will help to heal them up in no time. Water changes are you and your fishes best friend!
BTW many oscars have a light edge on their tail and/or dorsal fins. Doesn't mean a thing just natural coloration for them.

:c3:

cocoa_pleco
11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
split fins and nicks are normal. my pacu and oscar sometimes have little "scuffles" over territory, and both get a odd fin split and next day its healed.

oscars also nick themselves on rocks etc. and you can see a bit of white flesh. its no big deal either, it heals on its own