PDA

View Full Version : Floating in Asia

WhistlingBadger
01-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Opinions, please: What is your favorite floating/emergent plant for an Asia-themed tank? Looking for beauty, ease of care, maybe something with long, hanging roots...

talldutchie
01-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Two different things entirely.

Cyperus helferi could work as an emergent plant as could draecena species and Equisetum japonicum.

Pistia occurs in quite a few parts of Asia but I don't know if this is an invasive species or if it's native. Azolla pinnata is native in large parts of Asia but can be difficult to find. If you see it at all it's going to be in the pond section, not the aquarium shop.

Do check local regulations, quite a few floating plants are banned in parts of the world because they are invasive species.

WhistlingBadger
01-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Different things, yes; I included them together because my gouramies like having something on the surface to swim around in, so for that purpose they are (more or less) the same.

Good point about invasive plants. It usually isn't too big a deal in Wyoming because our winters tend to wipe out non-native water plants...but still worth checking out. Thanks for the tip.

Pistia looks really cool! I might have to try to find some of that. Again, thanks.