PDA

View Full Version : Turquoise lifespan

WhistlingBadger
01-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Morning! Just curious--does anyone know about what sort of lifespan one can expect from turquoise rainbowfish?

T

jeffs99dime
01-08-2014, 05:14 PM
From what I have read it seems to be anywhere from 4-7 years. All Rainbows need a lot of room to swim as they are open water. What size tank are you looking to put them in?

WhistlingBadger
01-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Well, funny you should ask that. The reason for my question is that I already have a school of them in my 55g. They would no doubt be happier in a bigger tank, and I am evolving my tank toward an Asian theme anyway. So, I've thought about trying to find them a new home. If they were a fish that lives 20+ years, it might be worth trying (and I say "trying"--I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, and I only know of one person in the area who has a tank bigger than mine). But since I have already had them for three+ years, and they seem reasonably happy if slightly cramped, I figure it might be best to just let them just live out their lives at home.

Sandz
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
5-8 years is reasonable - my grampa has a breeding group of neons that are still kicking out babies 6 years later and he got them presumably at age of 6mo or less (.75in size)