PDA

View Full Version : G'day Tankers - Tank video

philthy
01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Hey people,

Really getting into the hobby after my first year keeping planted tanks.
Heres a video of what I have, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfFTuqAKlw

I have been successfully breeding guppies all year but havnt had much success on breeding any bristlenose catfish yet.
Basically here just to talk aquariums and learn some new things, im planning on making youtube videos and stuff showing what I do with my tanks and trying to pass on some knowledge. what I think will be interesting, I'll be making the same sort of mistakes as most beginners and i can explain what I've done and what worked for me, I sorta get sick of seeing everyones perfect tanks haha. My tanks are looking pretty shabby at the moment so I think its a good time to start.

Let me know what you think of the tanks, or what you want to see more of! - videos coming soon.

- Phil

William
01-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Hi and welcome. Hope to see you around a lot.

philthy
01-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Hey Will,

appreciate the quick response, its a promising sign. I was here earlier in the year and didnt get many replies - probably because I was talking about guppies aha.

cya round

talldutchie
01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Let me know what you think of the tanks,

Are you sure?

On the big tank I'd really do something to hide that heater. Bit of an eyesore in an otherwise decent looking tank.

The red tailed "shark" will be an issue if you want to get the bristlenose to breed. Additionally, if you are successful, do you know what you're going to do with 40 fry?

Your videos suffer a bit from reflection. Might want to switch of the lights in the room when you make a video

Slaphppy7
01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Hi and welcome to the AC...nice angel you have there

philthy
01-08-2014, 02:03 PM
I am sure, any constructive criticism is welcome. Well, any criticism will make for good discussion so say what you really think.

I'm going to cover that corner of the tank with plants. At one stage I managed to hide the heater quite well, but have since chopped down that plant and have replanted. I havnt bought many plants, about a dozen pots, just been trimming and replanting. So for now i just need to wait for the plants to grow and see what happens.

My red tailed shark causes a bit of a rukus sometimes, do you think its a problem because the bristlenose cant settle down? or will the shark eat the eggs in the cave? or eat the babies? If I'm successfull I'll keep my breeding pair in the 30 gal and move a few bristlenose into my smaller tanks until they're too big. the other 30 hypotethical bristles I would take to the LFS for some store credit, and get some plants or food.

Thanks for the tip on reflections. In future I'll avoid the daylight.

philthy
01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Thanks Slappy, I'm assuming you're refering to the larger angel. Ive had him for well over a year, he managed to survive what I like to call the "Tank-pocalypse" of 2012. Sturdy fish, I'll have to get a video of me feeding them cherry prawns.

jeffs99dime
01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Welcome to AC. Nice video

DeboraBremner
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Enjoyed the video! Welcome!

talldutchie
01-08-2014, 03:29 PM
I am sure, any constructive criticism is welcome. Well, any criticism will make for good discussion so say what you really think..

I asked because I have gotten into trouble before for speaking my mind.

My red tailed shark causes a bit of a rukus sometimes, do you think its a problem because the bristlenose cant settle down? or will the shark eat the eggs in the cave? or eat the babies? If I'm successfull I'll keep my breeding pair in the 30 gal and move a few bristlenose into my smaller tanks until they're too big. the other 30 hypotethical bristles I would take to the LFS for some store credit, and get some plants or food.

Thanks for the tip on reflections. In future I'll avoid the daylight.

All three can be an issue. It may annoy the bristlenose. It's likely to be unsuccesful trying to get to the eggs but it's not entirely impossible. Even a failed attempt could cause daddy to abandon the eggs. Eating any fry can actually be dangerous to it, they can get stuck in a fish' mouth.

Are you sure you have a pair of bristlenose?

philthy
01-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure the female is a bristlenose if thats what you mean. I've seen her flare out some bristles on the side which are usually tucked away but other than that no bristles

KevinVA
01-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Welcome to AC!

Great looking tanks. I love how you have the 30gal setup. Agreed with the placement of the heater, but when the plants grow in, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

The one problem I see is that you created this beautiful 30gal tank, but you stocked it with fish that will outgrow it.

4 Angels (can grow 6" in length and 8" in height - though a pair in a 30 should be ok. I feel like I'm taking a risk having 3 in a 40B)
2 BNs (can grow 4-5", but they should be fine)
1 RTS (can grow 4-5" - it's recommended that they need a bigger tank, but he'll probably be ok in there - might get pretty aggressive)
1 SAE (I only see one, anyway - can grow 5-6")
1 Buenos Aeres Tetra (I only see one, anyway - would do well in the tank, but should be in a school of 6-8+)
2 Clown Loaches (can grow 7-15" and are a schooling fish - as you can see from the video - they should be in a school of 5+)
7 Guppies (I think that's all I see - these will obviously be fine in the tank... but that's just more bioload on top of everything else)

I'm not going to lie... your selection looks great, the fish look healthy and beautiful, but they're young and will grow. Just be prepared to take action when the time comes. Some will need to be rehomed, some might get pretty aggressive and you might be enticed to upgrade to a much larger tank. ;P You also might run out of room for biological filtration and may have to upgrade to an additional filter, if you haven't already done so.

I'm not sure if you want to keep the Buenos Aires Tetra, but if you do, he should be kept in a school. If you do want to expand the school, you should rehome some of your stock now and not wait.

Also, as a side note, SAEs can do well on their own, but they do like to school (and it's fun to watch). I have 4 in a 75gal.

Anyway, hope I've been helpful. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

steeler58
01-08-2014, 04:28 PM
+ 1 to Kevin and TD, they both touched on some very important points, that you should address, the tank looks good though, and welcome to the forum.

philthy
01-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks Kevin!

I really appreciate you, aswell as other people, dropping knowledge on this thread.

I agree, youre dead right about the fish out growing the tank, It's even a bit crowded for my liking.
When my old man came to town I took him to the local fish shop and he insisted on buying more angels and we ended up getting 2 clowns, 4 khuli loaches, 4 more angels and 2 more bristlenoses that i put into the 15g. I want to keep the fish aslong as possible so the plan at the moment is to pull out dusty 30g sitting in the garage and start that up in time to move the 5 angels into that tank and see how we go.

I'm Impressed by your count of my fish. In the community tank I have;
1 red tailed shark
1 seimese algae eater
2 Bristlenose catfish
2 buenos aires tetras
2 clown loaches
4 khuli loaches
5 angelfish
and 9 guppies
and some cherry shrimp

yeah definitely overcrowded. I was thinking of trading in the two tetras but was hoping I could get away with it. I think I'll probably swap out the guppies in future though. But I like that the angels occasionally have fry to eat.

KevinVA
01-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Hey, no problem. Khulis are pretty elusive, so it's no surprise that they didn't make much of an appearance. That's quite the bio load you have in there. Haha

You could get away with only 2 tetras, but they're not going to act naturally and are probably going to end up stressed. I have 2 Serpae tetras in my tank, now... but I'm only keeping them, because they're the last of a school that died off from bad breeding (a Petsmart special). They still don't look great, but they've lasted this long, so I'm letting them stick it out. The fish store would probably put them down if I brought them in, anyway. However, they definitely don't act the same as when they were in a school/shoal - they pretty much just stake out separate parts of the tank and hunker down. If I were you, I'd either up their school or take 'em back. They won't be very impressive by themselves.

Khuli loaches are pretty cool fish, but in my opinion, you rarely ever see them, so they just take up bio load and space, without much of a benefit to the owner. In my opinion, I'd get rid of all the loaches. Then, rehome the angels and rethink your stocking. I'd probably up my stocking of Tetras to 8 (they'll fin nip your Angels anyway), keep the RTS and BNs, and maybe add another 2 SAEs.

So, for fun I plugged in all of your information into AQAdvisor (a site that we don't depend on, but it's somewhat useful to get an idea of what we can stock and how much we can stock in what).

It puts your stocking level at 205%. I was being generous with your filter and gave you a Rena Filstar XP3 and that only filters about 73% of the tank. They recommend several massive water changes per week, in addition to a plethora of warnings about compatibility, school stocking, etc. Usually, if it says your stocking level is around 100-115%, you can assume you're safe with the right amount of filtration. 205% is beyond a safe limit. lol

My above recommendation puts you at 95% stocking level, so you have a little room to play. You could probably have one or two angels in there, just be aware of how big they grow.

Cliff
01-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the forum

I was here earlier in the year and didnt get many replies - probably because I was talking about guppies aha.

Do you have two user names ?

fishmommie
01-08-2014, 08:46 PM
welcome to the ac. You've really done some great work on your tanks. And you've gotten great advice.
The only thing I'd add is: has anyone told you there's a dead guy in one of the tanks? You might want to get him out of there before he fouls up the place :hmm3grin2orange:.

DeboraBremner
01-09-2014, 12:24 AM
welcome to the ac. You've really done some great work on your tanks. And you've gotten great advice.
The only thing I'd add is: has anyone told you there's a dead guy in one of the tanks? You might want to get him out of there before he fouls up the place :hmm3grin2orange:.

Wow!! What an eye you must have. I tried and can't find it!! :ssuprised:

KevinVA
01-09-2014, 12:42 AM
I can't find it either. lol

philthy
01-09-2014, 04:28 AM
Hey Cliff, yeah this would be my second user name, noo idea what my last one was.

haha fishmommie are you joking? I cant spot any :P

FrozenTundra
01-09-2014, 04:38 AM

I think she is referring to the skull in one of the tanks. guy not fish :hmm3grin2orange:

philthy
01-09-2014, 05:36 AM
hahahaha I should have picked up on that :P

Ok so heres the plan;
I will set up the spare 30g thats in the garage (didnt find it until a few month ago or I would have set it up a long time ago)
I'll move the 5 angels to the spare 30g and depending on how big the clown loaches are I'll take them back to the store or move them to the 30gal until they're bigger. I'll keep the 2 Tetras for now and look at getting a few more after the shuffle. and I'll look at selling those 9 red guppies along with the next batch of fry to grow out.

I guess the first step is to figure out where I'll put the tank.

gadget228
01-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

KevinVA
01-09-2014, 05:29 PM
hahahaha I should have picked up on that :P

Ok so heres the plan;
I will set up the spare 30g thats in the garage (didnt find it until a few month ago or I would have set it up a long time ago)
I'll move the 5 angels to the spare 30g and depending on how big the clown loaches are I'll take them back to the store or move them to the 30gal until they're bigger. I'll keep the 2 Tetras for now and look at getting a few more after the shuffle. and I'll look at selling those 9 red guppies along with the next batch of fry to grow out.

I guess the first step is to figure out where I'll put the tank.

I feel like you're setting yourself up for constant changes, which may be a good thing for some people, but I don't know how often you want to be switching out fish, etc. It's like your tanks will be grow out tanks for others. I suppose that's fine, but is that something you want to do? Have you thought about upgrading to a bigger tank? You could fit all 5 of the Angels into a 75gal and actually keep them when they're grown (and have room for others).

philthy
01-10-2014, 03:08 AM
Thats a good point you make Kev.
I would love to upgrade to a bigger tank but at this stage I just dont have the funds or space for it.
the 30 gal from the garage fits perfectly on the shelf under my other 30 gal, but anything bigger and Ill need a new stand, new lights new filter, buy more substrate etc.

the second 30gal will be the best i can do for the near future

KevinVA
01-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Understandable. Just something to think about for the future. =]

philthy
01-10-2014, 03:31 AM
Appreciate it Kev

I've thought a lot about the future, one day when im rich and famous I'll have a tropical green house with a waterfall and a big planted pond which will protrude through a window into an aquarium inside the house. haha, I'm a bit of a dreamer.

KevinVA
01-10-2014, 03:36 AM
You kiddin'? That's an awesome idea. ;]

FrozenTundra
01-10-2014, 03:41 AM
Appreciate it Kev

I've thought a lot about the future, one day when im rich and famous I'll have a tropical green house with a waterfall and a big planted pond which will protrude through a window into an aquarium inside the house. haha, I'm a bit of a dreamer.

but to make it complete you would have the waterfall over the rocks / plants / etc be your bio filter by having a pump under the gravel feeding the waterfall in the first place.

philthy
01-10-2014, 04:25 AM
but to make it complete you would have the waterfall over the rocks / plants / etc be your bio filter by having a pump under the gravel feeding the waterfall in the first place.

I was thinking I would go the extra Mile with the filter inlet under the gravel and the filter outlet for the waterfall. probably grow some java moss or something in it. If there was enough space I'd make a bit of a pond on the waterfall and add some cherry shrimp, the frogs i would add would like that too :P