PDA

View Full Version : 2 angelfish- 40 gallon

Valuta8
12-31-2013, 03:00 AM
Hey everyone :)
I finally moved my two new additions into my newly cycled 40 gallon tank and they seem to be thriving.
I was wondering if I could put another angelfish in there. I have a couple other tropical fish with them, two cherry barbs, two zebra danios and two platies. The tank seems kind of empty.
Would they get territorial and fight if I only added one? can I even add more or will it over stock the tank? If I can add more, how many should I do?
Thanks for any replies!

mommy1
12-31-2013, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't add another angelfish. Any time you add a cichlid to your tank there is a good chance it will fight with the existing fish, especially if the other fish is also a cichlid. Instead, you should add more cherry barbs and danios to the group. They are both schooling fish and would appreciate more of their own species in the tank.

Cermet
12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
A forty gallon tank (unless one of the tall type tanks) is a bit tight for two angels to properly grow. Also, hiding places (plants - real or fake, woods, rocks and the like) are a good idea since one of the fish may get rather aggressive towards the other.

Valuta8
12-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Alright, thanks for all the helpful responses. :) I'lll add 5 more cherry barbs and 5 more zebra danios if that won't overstock the tank. Could I keep a ram or two with them or will they fight?

mommy1
12-31-2013, 04:18 PM
A ram or two should work as long as there are plenty of plants and some driftwood for them to find nice hidey holes to claim and run to in case the angel takes a dislike to them. I will caution you though, keep an eye on the angelfish, he may or may not allow more fish into his tank. Be prepared for possible aggression against any new comers and have a back up plan in place.

Valuta8
12-31-2013, 04:49 PM
I'll see how well they get along with more cherry barbs and zebra danios first before adding more cichlids. From what I've seen, they're pretty docile fish. Both male and they love each other, always close together and I've never seen them fight. They've never tried to go after any of my fish and they are much smaller than the angels, so hopefully they'll be okay with rams.

mommy1
12-31-2013, 04:59 PM
It will probably be fine. Many people keep rams and angels together with no problems. I was even considering it myself at one point. Angels are so unpredictable though I just wanted you to know there is a risk and watch for possible aggression.